Wiser Living Apps for Smartphones and Tablets

We at MOTHER EARTH NEWS are proud to share our list of useful apps for your smartphone or tablet. Below are the apps currently available for download. Check back often for our new releases!

Grow Planner Gardening App

When to Plant App

Tomato Chooser App

Grow Planner iPhone screenshot When to Plant App Tomato Chooser app screenshot

The Grow Planner is an interactive app that allows gardeners to draw out their entire garden and the crops they want to grow. The app simplifies the planning and planting processes by automatically spacing and calculating how many plants users can grow in traditional rows, blocks, raised beds, or using the square-foot gardening method.

If you don’t have an iPhone or iPad, try our desktop Vegetable Garden Planner.

Get more information about our Grow Planner app.

Download the Grow Planner app, available in the iTunes App Store.

Our When to Plant app gives you the best planting times for more than 120 vegetables, herbs, fruit, cover crops and common companion planting flowers. By using your ZIP code and a database of almost 5,000 weather stations across North America, the app locates average frost dates for your garden from the
nearest station, and calculates the best range of planting dates for each crop.

One of Wired magazine's Top Picks for gardening apps in its annual App Guide special issue!

Get more information about our
When to Plant app

Download the When to Plant app, available in Google Play and the iTunes App Store.

The new Tomato Chooser app provides detailed profiles of 333 tomato varieties in all shapes, colors and sizes. You can sort through these varieties and choose certain criteria to find tomatoes that have just the characteristics you are looking for. You can even save your favorite varieties to access

Get more information about our Tomato Chooser app.

Download the Tomato Chooser app, available in the iTunes App Store.

Pickin’ Chicken Breed Selector

Pickin Chicken App

There are so many wonderful heritage breeds to choose from, and Pickin' Chicken will help find the perfect chicken breed for your needs. The app includes info and photos of more than 80 breeds, and lets you search based on egg color, size, meat/egg/dual purpose, mothering ability, growth rate, and more. Find the perfect chicken breed for eggs, meat, or for dual purpose.

Watch an overview video of the app to see the app in action.

Get more information about our Pickin' Chicken Breed Selector app.

Download the Pickin' Chicken Breed Selector app, available in the iTunes App Store.

Digital Editions

Mother Earth News digital edition

Did you know that you can access full copies of MOTHER EARTH NEWS in a digital format? Through our partnership with MAZ, we’re able to deliver our premier content to your mobile devices. Our digital issues have slick interactivity built right in, so you can connect to related materials online as you read and share your favorite content and photos with your friends. Visit our subscription page to learn more about pricing and bundle options.

At MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we want to provide only the highest quality products to our customers. Unfortunately, we’ve experienced ongoing technical difficulties within some of our apps, and we feel that they no longer serve their intended purpose. A comprehensive list of the apps that have been or will be removed from app stores follows. If you have already downloaded one of the apps below, the app will remain on your mobile device. You may, however, notice display and/or functionality issues over time, as these apps will no longer be updated. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this situation may cause, and we urge you to get in touch with us via our Contact Us page if you have questions or concerns.

The following apps have been removed from app stores and will no longer be updated:

• Food Gardening Guide
  • How to Can
  • Perfect Pie Crust
  • Guide to Self-Reliance and Country Skills
  • Guide to Organic Gardening

Please feel free to contact MOTHER EARTH NEWS with your questions and concerns regarding our smartphone and tablet apps. Visit our App Support page for more information.

11/27/2015 5:07:44 PM
Once again Mother Earth is proving their auntie Android bigotry against those of us who do not go for the Apple Way of things. It is bigotry, because there is no other explanation for having apps out this long, but 99% of them offer only Apple. Mother earth stop the bigotry provide Android apps. Thank you.

10/11/2014 10:21:05 PM
Open the Play Store app on your Android phone and search for Mother Earth News. Their apps show up and can be downloaded on your Android phone.

8/19/2014 6:01:48 PM
Is there an app for detecting and identifying plant diseases? The symptoms, causes, and treatment? Also, how does one treat bad soil due to fungus and similar? How deep does one go to replace it, to root levels? Or can one treat the soil on its surface? (ex. gray spot tomatoes) Thanks!!

7/16/2014 3:33:56 PM
I would love to see MEN for Kindle Fire.

5/2/2014 1:30:44 PM
bump for droid apps

2/21/2014 1:13:02 PM
I am disappointed to see that some of these apps are only available for Apple products. With Apple's history of human rights violations and their blatant disregard for the environment I do not understand why people who are otherwise sensitive to these issues support this company.

1/22/2014 9:05:38 AM
I love this site and magazines So many ideas that I'm not sure where I wanna start

1/21/2014 3:26:16 PM

1/2/2014 10:32:11 AM
Swine7, By all means stomp your feet, ball up your fists, spit and scream, berate and abuse until you get your way!

9/2/2013 3:34:05 PM
Swaine7... What's up with that...! Sounds like YOU are the card carrying, high nose, snob. I'm 68 yrs old, and have read every issue of MEN, from day one. Never did I need an electronic device to do so, and I'm not a tree hugger, so they are all in paper form, and they will keep coming to me that way. Sounds to me like you are a transplant from a big city, and brought the attitude that you are displaying, right along with you. If you should choose to become a "word-of-mouth FORMER customer", note that most folks will see right through the facade and not want to accept any advice from a hot head that doesn't know how to respect his mother. My advice would be to grab a coffee or beer, and go out on the back porch and listen to the birds sing and the wind blowing through the trees, while reading your latest issue of MEN. Be aware of what it is you want to change in your life, and follow the advice that you find relevant to your situation. It doesn't matter how that information is presented to you, it only matters that you recognize that it is FOR YOU, AND YOUR VISION..! The fact that you see the advice of MEN as desirable, says much about your recognition of changes needed in your life, and in the world around us. Wishing you a 100th birthday in the future. I'm expecting mine. 😀

8/25/2013 11:22:32 AM
I don't use Apps... what about just a plain download I can print out? I prefer a print version for future reference. I would rather be out in my garden than playing with technology and your apps.

8/8/2013 8:13:40 PM

"Wiser Living Apps for Smartphones and Tablets" sounds like a great group of apps for the Android, I can't wait......

7/22/2013 10:43:47 AM

MountJoyMike, thank you for your feedback on How to Can. Thanks to your comment, we've discovered that a few of the charts in the updated resource were generating incorrectly. We fixed them today. Next time you open your MOTHER EARTH NEWS app's library, you'll be able to install an update that will correct this issue. Again, thanks so much for alerting us to this problem, and please let us know if you have any further trouble.

7/20/2013 3:02:33 PM

I downloaded the canning app. Great looking and looks easy to use with large selection. However, I looked at canning berries and it said to process but the chathreat the bottom had not times listed. Not usable.

7/20/2013 2:59:03 PM

5/21/2013 11:00:46 AM

If you don't have a mobile device but are interested in garden planting time information or designing your garden, MOTHER EARTH NEWS has resources for you, too. Check out our Vegetable Garden Planner, an online program that uses the same technology as the Grow Planner app. And for planting times for your region, visit our popular What to Plant Now pages. Just type “garden planner” or “what to plant now” into our site search bar to find these resources. Happy gardening!

5/14/2013 10:10:19 AM

I'm glad all of the apps are available for download in one spot in the App store - makes it much easier to keep track of everything.

5/13/2013 12:05:49 PM

Thank you all for your interest in our apps! Your feedback is extremely valuable.

We understand the frustrations some of you have voiced in not being able to access all of our apps on all devices. It continues to be our goal to get our content into the hands of as many readers as possible. In order to reach that goal, it's necessary for us to go through a process of testing, experimenting and learning. Unfortunately, this sometimes means that our digital content isn't immediately available for all devices. Rest assured that we're looking into new areas of development, and we haven't forgotten about the full spectrum of app users (from Nook users to Kindle users to PC users, and everyone in between). Checking this page from time to time is the best way to get up-to-date information on our full collection of apps.

We have listed the app stores from which our apps are currently available next to each offering on this page. If a store isn't listed and linked to, the app isn't available in that store at this time.

We will be monitoring comments on this page in the future. Your questions and comments help us provide you the highest quality products possible, so please continue to share your thoughts.

Thank you for reading and helping us progress!

5/1/2013 7:25:39 AM

I'm glad the the Canning and Food Gardening Guides are available for android. However, I'm appalled that some of the best apps are for apple follks only! How dare you be so arrogant as to cater to that level of exclusivity! I have waited a long time for the Chicken Pickin' app thinking it would just take a while to get to the android market. I have even PAID for use of the Gardening guide online, yet I can't get access to this same program on my android simply because I'm not a card-carrying, high-nose, apple snob! How can you say you want to get your stuff noticed when you're being this way? Did you really forget that there is a huge other market out there of faithful and potential followers of Mother Earth News whom you've brushed off? I have been loyal to Mother Earth News several years since I started getting your magazine, but I'm seriously considering dumping that and my gardening guide both if this is how you're going to be sifting through the people you want and don't want on your side. You even sent me an email saying to uninstall one of the apps available to me as an adroid user. Please Fix This ASAP! Unless of course you're aiming for losing business, then by all means please carry on. If this doesn't get resolved, I will be a word-of-mouth FORMER customer, and that's not what you want!

4/22/2013 2:02:54 PM
From all I have read and researched on alternetive power capabilities, it sounds like deep cycle marine batteries would be best. They do make specific batteries for solar and wind powered collectors but they are very expensive. Largely, your budget will dictate your battery style as even the marine ones are expensive. I have heard of many people who started with just standard car batteries, even some just collecting used ones from junk yards. These may not be best but will suffice to give you time to save up money. Replace one at a time with your deep cycle batteries as funding allows.

3/27/2013 9:30:21 PM
Does anybody from MEN monitor this. There have been a lot of questions and it seems no responses. I guess it is all about the money and little concern about their customers. Need to get back to the basics even though computers a little bit beyond the basics.

Joanie Elbourn
3/23/2013 3:38:25 PM
can you make this available NOT for phones? we do not do cell phones..

Larry White
3/13/2013 4:50:05 PM
I just moved off the grid 7 weeks ago,trying to find out information on the best batterys and how many i need. Curently use a generator for my power,this then would be used to charge the battries. The power would be used for lights,TV and a DVR and the Internet

3/6/2013 3:14:16 PM
do you have an Android app for the garden planner?

tobias Rapley
2/20/2013 9:16:41 PM
LOL Its the android users UI am sorry for! you are being plagued with ever increasing issues! More and more apps will become available for us, but I can only see androids issues growing!

Debbie Evans
2/20/2013 8:03:03 PM
plz make When to Plant AND Grow Planner Gardening App available to android phones...

2/20/2013 1:41:47 PM
Why is the canning guide not available in Canada and yet the other apps are?

Michel Joseph Petulli
2/16/2013 5:10:25 AM
for the apps users out there

Paul Haasz
2/13/2013 1:10:01 PM
please set up planner app for android

2/13/2013 2:12:40 AM
Are you able to download the Zinio app? That's how I get Mother and several other magazine subscriptions

Shauna Leas
2/8/2013 7:55:45 PM
Please make apps for widows 8 phone!

Pam Rodgers
1/21/2013 4:58:33 AM
Why do they not make apps for laptops??

12/10/2012 9:09:35 PM
for those saying they want it for their Kindle, My kindle is android based and the android versions work just fine on it. I too would like to see the When to Plant App and the Grow Planner Gardening App for android. Someone needs to point out to the developers that Android is a much larger audience than apple. for those of you with windows phones, I'm sorry to hear that, better luck (or choice) next time

12/10/2012 4:45:04 AM
It's a shame that these aren't available for more platforms, such as the Kindle, or in my case, the Nook. I love the magazine, and will not stop purchasing it, however, I am trying to consume less paper (no matter how it is done), and would love for the magazine itself to be developed for the Nook.

Judy Hart
11/30/2012 5:38:49 PM
Yes, I want for my Kindle.

Stephanie Hall
8/13/2012 2:38:00 PM
It depresses me that most of the apps are for Iphones and I can't get them on my Ipad. You should develop them for more platforms.

8/10/2012 3:51:02 AM
Why not all apps for all platforms?

Carolle Cox
8/4/2012 2:19:01 PM
Annoyed that the grow planner is for Apple only. That's the one I NEED!

7/29/2012 12:42:57 AM
The grow planner is $19.99 not $9.99.

7/16/2012 5:12:50 PM
How about the windows phone?

7/3/2012 10:24:05 PM
How about for Blackberry?

Carl Hueske
5/9/2012 8:47:33 PM
When will the garden planner be out for Android? I would buy it but I won't subscribe to it monthly for the PC version.

5/9/2012 8:29:32 PM
When to Plant App seems very interesting of an App but I use Android so...

greg Michaels
5/9/2012 6:50:09 PM
why is it that you can only download apps that your device can only use why can't they make apps that can be downloaded by any device ?

Lori Guenter
5/9/2012 5:25:31 PM
Yes...regular Kindle too.

5/9/2012 4:55:12 PM
I would greatly appreciate the apps being offered on Amazon, for the KINDLE FIRE. Thank you...

David Allred
5/6/2012 8:27:18 PM

Ned Chancey III
5/5/2012 12:15:17 AM
When will these apps be available for NOOK? I wanna get these on my tablet!

5/4/2012 7:33:06 PM
+1. Too many companies seem to cater to the Apple zombies first.

Jon Adams
5/4/2012 5:30:28 PM

Lisa Straits
4/20/2012 10:52:01 PM
When will the "When to Plant" app be available for android?