- 2 pounds fresh chestnuts
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 yellow onions, diced
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated and crushed
- 2 tsp salt
- 7 cups 1-inch-cubed stale bread
- Light chicken stock as needed to wet the bread thoroughly
- 1 bunch sage, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- Roast, peel, and chop chestnuts. In a sauté pan, melt butter, then add onions, celery, garlic, and salt. Cook over medium to low heat, stirring as needed, until onions are limp but not brown, about 15 minutes. Add bread cubes. When butter has been absorbed, add chestnuts, then add chicken stock a little at a time, until bread is no longer dry. Add sage and parsley and cook for a few minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for stuffing turkey or to bake in a casserole pan.
Read more about bread in Beautiful Stenciled Breads.
More recipes to make beautiful bread:• Bread Soup Recipe
• Garlic Bread Recipe
It doesn’t just have to be Thanksgiving for you to enjoy this turkey stuffing, and in the process you can use up some of that stale bread in your kitchen, too.