In this recipe, from Gluten-Free Pasta by Roben Asbell, powdered whey gives the dough strength and structure. Find the guar gum and xanthan gum at health food stores or online.
• 3/4 cup arrowroot starch, plus more for dusting your work surface
• 1/2 cup tapioca flour
• 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
• 1/3 cup millet flour
• 3 tbsp whey protein powder or 3/4 cup nonfat dry milk
• 1 tbsp guar gum
• 1 tsp xanthan gum
• 1/2 tsp fine salt
• 3 large eggs
• 3 to 4 tbsp water
1. Measure the arrowroot starch, tapioca flour, sweet rice flour, millet flour, whey protein, guar gum, xanthan gum and salt into a bowl or the work bowl of a food processor and stir or pulse to combine.
2. Add the eggs and 3 tablespoons water, and stir or process until the dough gets stiff. Transfer dough to an arrowroot starch-dusted countertop and knead for 3 minutes, until smooth and flexible.
3. Wrap and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes, then shape as described in Shaping and Cooking.
Want to learn more about making homemade pastas? Read DIY Fresh Pastas: Make Traditional, Whole-Grain or Gluten-Free Noodles.