Gluten-Free Noodle Recipe
By Roben Asbell
1 pound pasta dough, 4 servings
- 3/4 cup arrowroot starch, plus more for dusting your work surface
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/3 cup millet flour
- 3 tbsp whey protein powder or 3/4 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1 tbsp guar gum
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3 to 4 tbsp water
- Measure the arrowroot starch, tapioca flour, sweet rice flour, millet flour, whey protein, guar gum, xanthan gum and salt into a bowl or the work bowl of a food processor and stir or pulse to combine.
- Add the eggs and 3 tablespoons water, and stir or process until the dough gets stiff. Transfer dough to an arrowroot starch-dusted countertop and knead for 3 minutes, until smooth and flexible.
- Wrap and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes, then shape as described in Shaping and Cooking. Want to learn more about making homemade pastas? Read DIY Fresh Pastas: Make Traditional, Whole-Grain or Gluten-Free Noodles.
In this recipe, from Gluten-Free Pasta by Roben Asbell, powdered whey gives the dough strength and structure. Find the guar gum and xanthan gum at health food stores or online.