Try adding sharp goat cheese or hummus to this Couscous Salad Recipe.
Perfect for the busy home cook, Rose Elliot's 30-Minute Vegetarian (Sterling Publishing, 2013), offers quick meals from Britain's reigning queen of vegetarian cuisine. Featuring 140 vegetarian recipes that take only an hour or less to prepare, this beautifully photographed book presents classic meals such as Macaroni and Cheese and Bean Burgers, along with an array of updated and modern dishes. Elliot's helpful tips, time-tested advice, and fail-safe recipes have delighted fans for 40 years, and this collection will, too. The following Couscous Salad Recipe comes from the section, “Snacks & Light Meals.”
This is both comforting and refreshing; dense, candy-like sweet potato sharpened with lime, the crunch of red onion, and the fresh green cilantro, against the background of silky couscous. It’s lovely on its own, or you could add some sharp goat cheese or hummus to complete the meal.
Serves 4, Vegan
1 lb 6 oz sweet potatoes (about 4 medium-sized), scrubbed and cutinto 3/4-inch chunks
2 tbsp olive oil
2 1/4 cups (18 fl oz) vegetable stock
1 1/2 cups (9 oz) couscous
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
4 tbsp finely chopped red onion
1 tbsp roughly chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 425 Fahrenheit.
2. Toss the sweet potato chunks in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, put them into a roasting pan, and bake for 25 minutes, turning after 10–15 minutes, until they are tender and golden brown.
3. Meanwhile, bring the vegetable stock to a boil, then add the couscous and the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Cover and set aside, off the heat, for 10–15 minutes.
4. Take the sweet potatoes out of the oven and toss with the lime zest and juice, chopped onion, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Stir the couscous with a fork, add a little salt, then carefully mix with the sweet potatoes and cilantro, and serve.
Read more from Rose Elliot’s 30-Minute Vegetarian:
This excerpt has been reprinted with permission from Rose Elliot’s 30-Minute Vegetarian © 2013 by Rose Elliot, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE