The Modern Preserver, by Kylee Newton (The Countryman Press, 2015), guides you through how to preserve produce. Newton puts her contemporary twist on classic preservation favorites. Serve this adult drink hot from a flask, while outdoors or in mugs by the fireplace.
• 3 1/3 cups organic apple cider
• 3 1/3 tablespoon brandy
• 2 star anise
• 4 allspice berries
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar, to taste
1. Put everything into a medium, heavy-bottomed pan and very gently bring to a simmer, without boiling, for 10–15 minutes, stirring intermittently.
2. Decant into a flask or ladle into individual mugs.
More From The Modern Preserver:
Excerpted from The Modern Preserver by Kylee Newton (The Countryman Press). Copyright © 2015.