This Melon Sherbet Recipe works with any melon, even a slightly overripe one. Choose one with plenty of flavor. The more aromatic the melon is, the better the sherbet will be, as the butterfat in the milk will amplify its perfume.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 cups peeled, seeded and roughly chopped ripe melon
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Toss the sugar with the melon and refrigerate for an hour.
- Pour the mixture into a food processor or blender. Add the milk and vanilla, and purée.
- Freeze the purée in your ice cream maker until the mixture begins to pull away from the sides.
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least another hour before serving.
Read more: Melons are a juicy, refreshing treat in the summer. Learn about the different varieties and try some melon recipes in Summertime Means Eating Melon. Learn how to make frozen desserts for the summer, including ice cream, sorbet and more, in Discover the Many Delicious Types of Frozen Desserts.
Photo by Tim Nauman