- 1 large bunch, about 2 pounds, asparagus
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 chive blossoms
- After trimming, place the spears in a steamer over simmering water for about 8 minutes or until just tender. Drain well and arrange on a platter or on individual plates.
- Combine the lemon juice and olive oil in a small glass or pitcher and whisk vigorously, or shake together in a small, covered jar. Pour over the asparagus. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pluck the individual florets from the chive flower heads and scatter them over all. Serve at room temperature.
Want to learn more about cooking with asparagus and chives? Read Spring's Sentinels: How to Grow and Cook Asparagus and Chives for more tips and recipes.
Esteemed garden writer Barbara Damrosch farms and writes with her husband, Eliot Coleman, at Four Season Farm in Harborside, Maine. Find even more asparagus recipes in her latest book, The Four Season Farm Gardener’s Cookbook.
This simple dish depends on the quality of its main ingredient, so try to use the freshest asparagus spears. Serve it as a side dish at any meal, or as the centerpiece of a light supper along with toast and scrambled eggs.