Filled Pancake Roll-Ups Recipe
- 1-1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Sweet or savory fillings as desired (berries, jam, diced ham, cooked sausage, shredded cheese and/or cooked vegetables)
- Whipped cream, flavored syrup, honey or salsa, optional
- Preparation In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs and vanilla. Add flour, salt and sugar, blending until smooth. On the Stove and in the Oven
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Meanwhile, place, skillet, on stovetop over medium-high heat and melt 1 to 2 teaspoons butter; spread evenly over bottom of pan. Pour 1/4 cup prepared batter into skillet and tip pan so batter spreads out thinly and evenly. Cook until top looks dry, about 30 seconds, until golden brown.
- Repeat to make additional pancakes with remaining batter. Place prepared pancakes on a cookie sheet and cover with foil; place in oven to keep warm. Over the Fire or on the Grill (About 20 hot coals)
- Place skillet on a grate over medium heat (hot coals or gas grill) and melt 1 to 2 teaspoons butter; spread evenly over bottom of pan. Pour 1/4 cup prepared batter into skillet and tilt pan so batter spread out thinly and evenly. Cook until top looks dry, about 30 seconds. Carefully flip pancake with a spatula; cook on other side for several seconds, until golden brown. Adjust the number and placement of coals as needed for even cooking.
- Repeat to make additional pancakes with remaining batter. Wrap pancakes in foil and set over indirect heat to keep warm. Alternate Cooking Method
- Use a griddle in place of a skillet. Spread out batter with a large spoon.
- Serve promptly, garnished with whipped cream, syrup, honey or salsa, if desired.
More from Dutch Oven and Cast Iron Cooking:• Camper's Focaccia Bread Recipe • Swiss Crabmeat Bake Recipe
Reprinted with permission from Dutch Oven and Cast Iron Cooking by Peg Couch and published by Fox Chapel Publishing, 2013. Buy this book from our store: Dutch Oven and Cast Iron Cooking.
Dutch Oven and Cast Iron Cooking by Peg Couch (Fox Chapel Publishing, 2013) offers complete instructions for using the classic Dutch oven to bake, simmer or roast your way to delicious food. This delightful book provides 50 recipes for breakfast, breads, main dishes, side dishes and desserts. This excerpt showcases the Filled Pancake Roll-Ups Recipe from the book.
You can purchase this book from the MOTHER EARTH NEWS store: Dutch Oven and Cast Iron Cooking.