Vegetable Stock Recipe
• 8 cups water, cold or room temperature
• 1 to 3 large onions, unpeeled, quartered
• 1 large carrot, scrubbed, quartered
• 2 cups potatoes, unpeeled, quartered
• 1 head garlic, unpeeled
• 3 ribs celery, with tops
• 4 sprigs parsley
• 2 tsp salt or tamari soy sauce
• Sprigs of fresh or dried herbs: oregano, basil, rosemary, sage, bay leaf, etc.
• 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (available in bulk at natural food stores)
• 1 tbsp white miso (use brown or red for a bolder flavor)
1. In a stockpot, combine all ingredients except nutritional yeast and miso. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
2. Let simmer for 2 hours.
3. Allow stock to cool, then strain and throw the solids on the compost heap. Whisk in nutritional yeast and miso. (Miso contains live enzymes, so it should not be boiled.)
4. Use immediately, refrigerate or freeze.
Read more about cold weather soup recipes: Warming Winter Soups.