MAKES ABOUT 5 CUPS CONCENTRATE
Lemon and ginger flavors combine in this tangy beverage that is
good hot or cold. You may omit any seasonings that don’t appeal to
you or are unavailable. This quantity of concentrate will make
about 12 1/2 cups of lemonade.
•3 to 4 inches fresh gingerroot, peeled and chopped or
•2 cups water
•2 to 3 tablespoons honey
•2 cinnamon sticks
•1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
•2 tablespoons orange zest
•1/8 teaspoon pepper
•4 to 5 ajowan seeds, ground
•1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
•1/8 teaspoon anise
•1/8 teaspoon ground fenugreek
•3 or 4 leaves cinnamon basil
•2 large cans frozen lemonade concentrate
•Water or seltzer
1. Place the ginger, water, and honey in a nonreactive saucepan.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and simmer on low heat for
3. Remove the cover and simmer on medium low for 10
4. Add the remaining seasonings except the basil and continue
simmering for 5 minutes.
5. Off heat, stir in the basil and lemonade
6. You may store the concentrate in the refrigerator for as long as
7. To serve, strain out the solids. Mix two parts concentrate
with three parts water or seltzer.