Swarms take place when a hive has grown too large and splits in two. Then, a queen leaves the original hive with a number of worker bees. Swarms don’t stay like this for very long, so if you’re interested in capturing one, you may only have a day or two at the most.
For more information on keeping bees check out these great articles and resources:
- How to Identify and Catch a Honeybee Swarm
- Swarm Care
- How to Attract Native Bees to Your Organic Garden
- Tips on Catching Wild Bees
- Capturing a Swarm of Honeybees
- Listen to the Keeping Backyard Bees podcast.
- Visit our store for beekeeping supplies and books.
- Visit our sister site Keeping Backyard Bees