A Self-Contained Desert Oasis
When skillfully cultivated and tended, air plants can flower. The little flowers inside the vivid pink “quills” last only a few days, but the quills themselves can be enjoyed for several weeks or months. To incorporate scenery into the composition, a spherical container works best.
- Add crushed coral and dried moss, creating different heights.
- Add taller air plants at the back of the container.
- Use tweezers to adjust composition and complete the terrarium.
Plants to use
- Tillandsia tenuifolia – a
- Tillandsia ionatha – b
- Tillandsia fuchsia var. gracilis – c
You will need
- Spherical glass container
- Crushed coral (medium) – d
- Moss (dried moss) – e
- Keep out of direct sunlight and place in soft light about the same brightness as sunlight dappled through leaves. If keeping indoors, place near a window where air flows well and the light is about as bright as that filtered through lace curtains.
- Occasionally remove from container and give plant plenty of water.
More from Miniature Terrariums:
Excerpted from Miniature Terrariums by Fourwords and reprinted with permission from Tuttle Publishing, 2018.