Cabbage family: Broccoli, cabbage, collards, kale, kohlrabi
Cucumber family: Cucumber, pumpkin, summer squash, winter squash
Leafy greens: Arugula, chard, mustard (all types), pac choi, sorrel, spinach, turnip
Legumes: Dry soup beans, pole snap beans, shell peas, Southern peas
Root crops: Beet, parsnip, potato, rutabaga, shallot, turnip
Tomato family: Hot peppers, tomatillo
Miscellaneous: Asparagus, leek, okra, rhubarb, scallion, sweet corn
* To learn more about when to sow seeds (indoors and outdoors) or when to transplant your seedlings to the garden, see: Know When to Plant What: Find Your Average Last Spring Frost Date.
* To learn more about how to start seeds, check out Seed-starting Basics. For a primer on how to transplant seedlings, see Garden Transplanting: Expert Advice.
* Find garden seeds from great mail-order companies with our Plant and Seed Finder.
* Learn more about high-quality seeds and great seed companies in Best Seeds for a Bigger, Better Garden and Best Garden Seed Companies, or through our seed company directory.
* You might also try swapping seeds locally.
* For tips on growing everything from apples to zucchini, see our Organic Gardening homepage.
Pay Now & Save 67% Off the Cover Price
Copyright 2016, All Rights Reserved | Ogden Publications, Inc., 1503 SW 42nd St., Topeka, Kansas 66609-1265
Special Interest Websites :
Community Chickens •
Good Things to Eat •
Utne AltWire •
Keeping Backyard Bees