How to Make Garlic Powder

If you recently harvested a bumper crop of garlic from your garden, we have a perfectly flavorful idea for you: Make some homemade garlic powder.
By Barbara Pleasant
February/March 2006

PHOTO: TABITHA ALTERMAN

Growing Gourmet Garlic, Part 3: When to Plant and Soil Preparation

The third blog of the series Growing Gourmet Garlic discusses when to plant your garlic and how to p...

Peanut Butter Play-Dough

A really nutritious snack for the kids, and they can, ummm, play with it!

Overview of Garlic's Health Benefits

This short video by Dr. Mao will give you a quick overview of the wide-ranging health benefits of ga...

Preserving Tomatoes and Apples With a Homemade Solar Food Dryer

A homemade solar food dryer allows you to dry tomatoes and apples for delicious and nutritious winte...

When great garlic begins to go soft in storage, it's time to make garlic powder. To prepare this multipurpose seasoning from scratch, follow these simple steps:

First, peel the garlic cloves. Then cut them into thin slices and put in a dry pan. Place the pan in a 150-degree oven to dry the garlic, turning the slices often. Grind the dried slices in a blender, then sift the material through a strainer to separate the chunks from the finer powder. (The chunks taste great on pizza!)

Use your homemade garlic powder on any food that can benefit from a concentrated shot of garlic flavor. Store the chunks or garlic powder in airtight jars kept in a cool place, or freeze for long-term storage.

Sowande' Mustakeem
4/14/2013 8:24:18 PM
Thanks. I definitely will do this but having a dehydrator spares anyone of any real work...I just made onion powder.

Tina Comroe
3/7/2013 5:55:22 PM
I have pounded them to paste, spread them out to dry and then ground them to powder..

GALE GREEN
7/27/2012 8:06:05 PM
Want a nifty trick to peel all those garlic cloves? Take a couple of stainless steel bowls about the same size. Put a handful of cloves (separate the bulb) into one bowl, invert the other bowl over the top. Place hands on outside, bottom of each bowl, and shake like crazy for about a minute. Wa-La!! peeled garlic.

dom dubocq
9/5/2008 1:36:55 AM
I,ve been growing great garlic in my back yard for 20yrs, 20-30 flower every year. I make dry flower arrangements but now I wish to try powdering. My question is, does the garlic have to be soft or can the process be done with fresh cloves? I really am looking foward to get my little project going asap. Would appreciate some insight on the issue. Thanks D.C.Dubocq

Mimi Winter
4/12/2007 12:00:00 AM
I don't know what allicin is. Please elaborate for me?I use a dehydrator to dry foods. I'm sure to make Garlic Flakes you would grate the garlic (rather than grind or blend) with a large holed grater and then dehydrate as usual. When I made the dehydrated onions, I ground them with a hand crank grinder. This made large chunks that could have been considered "flakes".

anil agarwal
4/11/2007 12:00:00 AM
very educative. please let me know how to make garlic flakes at homeanil agarwal

CK ck
2/20/2006 12:00:00 AM
Part comment part question.I copied the below paragraph from another site. I understand that allicin is the most important part of garlic to injest. Raw garlic has it but when you cook it you lose it.Please tell me if the 150 degrees for as long as it takes to dry it destroys some or all of the allicin. Thank you. Copied paragraph:Not all garlic contains the same amount of active ingredients. In fact, there is a fairly wide variation in the amount of allicin and other important ingredients in both fresh garlic and commercial products. The amount present depends on where the garlic is grown as well as how the product is prepared. Some experts believe that the wide variation in the quantity of active ingredients in garlic preparations explains why there is some variability in how well the substances lower cholesterol, improve blood pressure, and fight infection in different people.

Mimi Winter
2/15/2006 12:00:00 AM
One year a freind of mine got hold of a ton of red onions. She gave me 100 lbs. I used a grinder to grind the onions down first, then spread the chuncks on screened solar dehydrator frames. The Onions were dried and ready in about 3 hours. (Of course, we live in Arizona where the sun and heat make short work of very long stories!)Those Onions were great for eating as a snack too. Oh boy! What a treat!

SHELLY FORAN
2/14/2006 12:00:00 AM
You can do this with sprouting (or non-sprouting) onions also. We had a bumper crop of Walla Walla onions this year and made some great onion powder!Cut into ~1/2inch slices, remove core and green sprout and dry the way you would the garlic.I prefer using a coffee grinder rather than a blender for powdering. You can also make paprikas of all sorts this way, fom sweet to hot to spicey. Mixing different varieties together adds a great complexity to any of your concoctions.