Real Food

Savor the flavors of everyday real food, fresh from the garden or stored on your pantry shelves.

Baked Vegetable Chips

12/27/2011 3:16:00 PM

Tags: radish, recipe

Healthy Baked Vegetable ChipsHere are three reasons to turn radishes and other root veggies into chips: (1) It’s laughably easy yet somehow impressive. (2) They make a healthier stand-in for other snacks. (3) It’s a great way to use up an abundance of garden goodies.

According to Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page, the flavor-pairing gurus behind The Flavor Bible, radishes are good buddies with basil, chervil, chives, cilantro, avocado, cream, cheese, crab and anchovies. Try serving your chips with a simple dip that mixes any of these, such as Italian bagna cauda, which is a “hot bath” of anchovies, butter, olive oil and garlic. I also like a blend of anchovies, chives and cream cheese; or avocado, cream and crabmeat.

Ingredients:

Mixed root vegetables, thinly sliced (You may want to peel some vegetables, such as beets, but with most, if you normally like eating the peels, you can leave them on.)
Olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Any herbs you have on hand (optional)

Instructions:

Toss the vegetable slices in the oil and seasonings. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and a single layer of veggie chips. Bake at 275 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes, then flip the slices and bake another 15 minutes. Check the chips every few minutes, until they are crispy but not burnt. Serve warm or cool.

See also: Radical Rennaissance: Try Our Rad Radish Recipes

Photo by Tim Nauman Photography.

Flavor Combinations 101

If you want to know what foods compliment each other the best, check out the Flavor Bible.

What Are Your Best Tips for Sustainability in the Garden?

Considerations of sustainability factor into countless supplies, tools and methods present in your g...

9 Winter Vegetables You Could Be Eating Right Now--And How to Prepare Them

Craving fresh food during the long winter months? Here are nine vegetables that you can find fresh i...

Tractor Supply Company Welcomes Jonsered to Its Line-Up

Agreement makes Tractor Supply the exclusive national retailer of Jonsered.

WENDY COMBS
2/23/2012 7:55:41 PM
I have been doing this with Turnips for some time. I usually spice them with paprika or red pepper. YUM. Family loves them also. Never thought of making my own dip to go with them other then my homemade ketsup or salsa.

Elizabeth Sands
2/6/2012 5:14:51 AM
How would you store these if you made a big batch? I would love to do this ahead of time for weekday lunches. Would they need to be refrigerated or would they keep if I baked them longer? Thanks. :)

carmen thompson
1/30/2012 4:44:17 AM
never thought of that many variations i will have to try some

carmen thompson
1/30/2012 4:40:09 AM
have you had pickle chips or batter dipped deep fried pickles yum

SUSAN WIGLEY
1/29/2012 8:16:15 PM
Tuscan Kale makes excellent chips too. So does zucchini, winter squash, sweet potatoes and tomatillos. I never thought to try radishes and beets though. I can't wait to try them!

SHARON FREEMAN
1/29/2012 6:51:02 PM
Oh, I bet chips made out of zucchini or other types of squash would work too? I know the article said root vegetables only, but I am just going to experiment.

SHARON FREEMAN
1/29/2012 6:49:58 PM
Now I know that I can make chips out of other vegetables other than sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. I have found that the Colorado Gold potatoes make a better baked chip than the other types of irish potatoes or whatever they are called. Since I love to snack at night while watching TV, and I like chips I am excited to try beets, radishes, parsnips, etc.

VICTORIA GAZELEY
1/29/2012 2:49:50 AM
I keep meaning to try this - looks delicious!