A Homemade Recycled Tomato Cage

Use PVC pipe for an easy-to-build, storable and easy watering homemade recycled tomato cage that will last season after season.
By Doug Thalacker
February/March 1997

Effective, inexpensive, and easy-to-make and store, tomato cages don't get better than this.
ILLUSTRATION: JOEL PAPADICS
Slideshow

Tomato Grafts Create Cool, Two-Headed Plants

Creating tomato grafts may be a great way to grow tomatoes organically. Tomato grafting has emerged ...

The Best Tomato Cage

What is the strongest, easiest-to-store tomato cage you’ve used?

Homemade Tomato Cages: A Step-by-Step Guide

Learn how to make your own plant supports; perfect for tomatoes or similar vine fruits and vegetable...

Learning How To Grow Tomatoes

Sue Parker shares her grandmother's secrets to a strong tomato crop.

Build a homemade recycled tomato cage from PVC pipes to last season after season.

It was the best of the times. It was the worst of times. My success fed my failure. My tomato plants were wonderful, huge with lots of fruit — yes, botanically tomatoes are fruit — slowly ripening in the warm summer sun. I was failing because those tiny wire tomato cages I was using kept falling over, stressing and sometimes breaking the stems.

This was the situation by the end of the summer of '93. My tomato patch looked like a modern art sculpture — string, wire, wooden stakes — all intertwined with tomatoes. Anything to hold up those plants until harvest. I had to find something better by next summer, something inexpensive, lasting, easy to store and strong enough to hold my plants. As I thought about it, the scrounger in me took over.

Homemade Recycled Tomato Cage: Materials

Three 3-foot-3-inch (or longer) pieces of white PVC pipe or cut a 10-foot piece into three equal pieces.

A total of 15 feet of electrical conduit, cut into six 20-inch pieces.

Note: The dimensions can vary. If you're scrounging, any size will work.

Tools: Hack saw, electric drill or brace, half-inch drill bit.

Tomato Cage Construction

1) Cut the PVC and electrical conduit to length.

2) Hold or tape the three pieces of PVC together as shown in Figure A (see Image Gallery). Use a straight edge to mark the ends as shown. This ensures that the holes will be at the correct angle to each other for the cross pipes.

3) Tape together the two pipes marked A so that all the A marks are lined up. By drilling the two pipes together, it guarantees that all holes will line up even when you drill the holes less than perfectly perpendicular, which is easily done if you are using a hand drill. Drill one set of holes about 2 inches from the top and the second set of holes about in the middle. If you want to add a third set of cross pieces, adjust the placement of the holes accordingly. Drill a single hole in one or all of the pipes just below the bottom most set. This is the watering hole which I will explain further on.

4) Repeat step 3, lining up all the Bs and then all the Cs. Make sure that you stagger each set of holes a little so that the cross pipes do not hit each other.

You're all set to put your cages together. Insert the cross pipes so that about 1/2 to 1 inch sticks out on each side. You may have to use a round file to enlarge the holes a little, but you want the cross pipes to fit tightly. Press the pipes into the soil about 8 inches. The watering hole allows me to apply water and fertilizer almost directly to the roots instead of wasting both with normal sprinkling. Weeds are better controlled by keeping the surface of the soil dry and with fewer readily-available nutrients. The low surface moisture also helps with fungal infections of the stems. I have a 5-gallon bucket with a small diameter plastic hose inserted at the bottom. This hose goes into the watering hole of the PVC support and my manure tea is delivered 8 inches below the surface. It's slow but effective. At the end of the season you merely take the cages apart and they easily store in a corner. No more pointed ends of wire cages to catch you unawares.

At a Glance: Tomatoes

Germination Temperature: 65 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
Best Growing Temperature: 75 degrees (ideally under a warm sun).
Days to Maturation from Seed: 80 to 120.
Soil ph: 6 to 7.
Height: Determinate. 12 inches to 18 inches; indeterminate, 6 feet to 14 feet.
Root Depth: 6 inches to 8 inches.
Space between Plants: Determinate, 2 feet; indeterminate (staked), 3 feet; indeterminate (unstaked), 4 feet to 6 feet.
Space between Rows: 4 feet to 5 feet.
Watering: Daily, medium watering deep into roots.
Extra Feeding: Weekly, spray of fish emulsion and/or liquid seaweed.

Tomato Pests and Their Control

Cutworms: Stiff, 3-inch piece of cardboard — such as a frozen orange juice container — placed an inch in the soil and up around the stem.
Slugs: Night handpicking, wood ashes, saucers of beer or trap boards.
Spider mites, aphids, flea beetles: Hard hose sprays, diatomaceous earth, ladybugs, onion sprays, pyrethrum or rotenone.
Hornworm: Homemade spray of red pepper juice, Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt), or diatomaceous earth. Leave any hornworms covered with small, white egg cases alone, however. They are parasite-burdened and will soon die and spread the problem to other hornworms.
Nematodes: These invisible killers attack the plant's root system, stunting growth and lowering disease-resistance. Once you suspect trouble, check the roots of the plant and look for little knots. Control: African and French marigolds have been shown to exude a substance that repels nematodes, so plant a few among the tomato plants or, better yet, plant this year's tomatoes where last year's marigolds were. Increasing the amount of organic matter in your soil will also help by increasing the number of nematode predators. Nematode-resistant varieties are also available and are typically labeled VFN.

Previous | 1 | 2 | Next

Dave Schemmel
4/15/2013 3:42:58 PM
This is a great idea for gardening, although I do agree with ronf2 that a doomsday mentality is damaging overall. I run a website for tomato cage products, please feel free to let me know what you think.

ronf2
10/20/2010 5:23:29 PM
There is danger in every aspect of our lives. While ignoring our genetic food, drinking water, teflon, come on! We are looking at a good idea for the garden. It must suck to view everything though the eyes of a doomsday mentallity.

M Fowler
10/14/2010 11:10:37 AM
Great idea! Now, I'll be able to keep the tomato up longer. Typically, they're destroyed during our hurricane season. This cage would be much more substantial. Thanks!

PPat
9/8/2010 10:58:41 AM
This sounds great. I am going to give it a try for sure... will use a CPVC pipe if I can, since all the plumbing in my house is of this and I haven't died of horrid disease yet for those of you who don't care for the PVC cautions mentioned. I am guessing 2 or 2.5" uprights will be more than adequate for .5" cross pieces. Thanks for the great idea!

William Tubbs_1
7/9/2010 10:01:33 PM
I just read the article on how to construct the Indestructible Tomato Cage by Joel Papadics. I would like to try this, but the article did not say what pipe diameter to use or if you needed schedule 40 or some other type of pipe. From the article it appears you need 1/2 inch conduit pipe, but what size PVC pipe is needed? Thanks for the good article.

oracle bob
2/5/2009 6:03:08 PM
The comment is now old, but none of the URLs listed by "coevicman" lead to relevant content. I did some searching and found plenty of data for and against the alleged health risks of PVC (more specifically - the phthalate plasticizers used to make PVC). This I know... when I water my garden - 100% of the water is delivered through PVC pipes (PVC is by far the most common material used for sprinkler systems). Seems like the propaganda of fear being spoken here is possible, but not likely.

sunnysideup
7/7/2008 7:11:39 PM
Yes, thank you coevicman for mentioning how unsafe PVC pipe is for use with anything to do with food and water. I can't believe a publication such as Mother Earth News put this article out as good advice! The design idea is not bad, but I plan on trying it with some cuttings from my neighbor's bamboo grove.

Heidi Hunt_2
7/20/2007 9:12:36 AM
The illustrations are in the Image Gallery to the top right of the article, under "Related."

Dave_37
7/19/2007 7:33:38 AM
Where are the figures this guy is relating to in the article? Pics would be nice, especially when they are mentioned and not there. Article was good, but without the pics? Worthless.

coevicman
4/17/2007 6:49:04 PM
Natural materials such as timber (untreated) and metal have been in our use for thousands of years. Plastics (petrochemical based) are new to all life on Earth. PVC conduits are to be used in walls, as it contains estrogen mimicking compounds that leach out. This PVC and UV stabilized PVC should not be near food or water. Check all the literature out there: www.ourstolenfuture.org www.environmentaloncology.org/publication/estrogen.htm www.who.int/ipcs/publications/new issues/endrocrinedisruptors/en/ http://ec.europa.en/environment/endocrine/index I would have thought knowledge about Phthalate plasticizers etc. would be general knowledge by now... Please check and check again before doing anything in your organic food production.