You Can Make Yogurt at Home

I love the tangy flavor of yogurt. I think it's delicious both sweetened and plain and use it all the time as a substitute for sour cream. I would have guessed yogurt was hard to make, but I was surprised ? there's really not much to it. If you read the recipes, making yogurt sounds complicated, but in fact, all you have to do is combine milk with a starter culture and keep it warm.?
Megan Phelps
March/April 2007

Homemade yogurt is delicious, and it's surprisingly easy to make.
iStock Photo

How to Make Your Own Paper

If you have a lot of excess scrap paper like I do, it’s time to put that waste to better use. Read t...

How to Make Your Own Beer

This presentation from the MOTHER EARTH NEWS FAIR in Puyallup, Wash., explains how to get started wi...

Greek Yogurt

This blog teaches readers how to make homemade Greek-style yogurt.

The Winter of Our Content

Natural Home editor-in-chief Robyn Griggs Lawrence looks forward to good, green building news for 20...

If you read the recipes, making yogurt sounds complicated, but in fact, all you have to do is combine milk with a starter culture and keep it warm. Then, you cool the mixture in the refrigerator and there it is: Homemade yogurt!

We made yogurt at my house this weekend following a very simple recipe. Here's how it works:

1. Start with milk.(We used a quart of organic milk.)

Yogurt is a fermented food thought to have originated in Turkey. For centuries, people have made yogurt as a simple food preservation technique. Yogurt contains bacteria that produce lactic acid, which helps prevent milk from spoiling, makes it thicker and produces the tangy taste.

Yogurt from cow's milk is what most of us in the United States are used to, but in other parts of the world it's often made with goat or sheep milk. The nice thing about making your own yogurt is that you have complete control over what you use: goat's milk, skim milk, organic milk or even raw milk. It's entirely up to you.

2.Control the Heat.(We put the milk in a pot on the stove, and used a candy thermometer to monitor the temperature.)

The idea is to bring the temperature of the milk to just below boiling (about 200 degrees F) and keep it there for about 10 minutes. This kills any undesirable bacteria in the milk, and helps it thicken. After it's been cooking for 10 minutes, you need to cool the milk to about 120 degrees F. We put our pot of milk in a pan of cold water, using the candy thermometer to watch the temperature.

This is just one way to do it. Many yogurt recipes recommend using a double boiler instead of a regular pot. You can also buy a yogurt maker, which sounds like a simpler way to get the temperature right. Yogurt makers range in cost from about $15 to $50.

3. Add the Bacteria. (We used one-quarter cup of plain yogurt.)

Now you need to add the starter culture, which has the bacteria that turns the milk into yogurt. That sounds hard to find, but it's not. All you need is a little plain yogurt. Who knew? Yogurt creates more yogurt.

You'll need to choose a brand with live cultures. (If you're not sure check the label.) The specific bacteria that make yogurt are Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus.

4. Keep it Warm. (We put the warm mixture into a thermos to let it incubate.)

Now you can sit back and let the bacteria work. The tricky part is that the bacteria work best within a narrow range of temperatures ? it has to be between 100 and 130 degrees F ? so you need to find a way to maintain a temperature of about 115 degrees F for at least four hours. Again, a yogurt maker might be handy because it would allow you to set the temperature, but there are numerous other methods people use to produce the right temperature.

Some recipes suggest putting the yogurt in the oven with the light on, or putting the yogurt in an insulated cooler. We decided to try a very simple method: Putting the yogurt in a thermos. We let it sit overnight, and then refrigerated it. Success! It tasted just like store-bought yogurt.

5. Refine your Technique. (It's time to make more yogurt!)

Although making yogurt is a pretty simple process, there's a lot of room for experimentation. You can add flavorings, such as sugar or vanilla; or thickeners, such as powdered milk or gelatin. If you let it incubate longer, the flavor gets tangier.

Ready to try some yogurt on your own? Try these sites for yogurt-making tips, techniques and troubleshooting. We'd also like to hear your tips for making yogurt. You can post them in our comments section.

University of Missouri Extension

National Center for Food Preservation

Megan E. Phelps is a freelance writer based in Kansas. She enjoys reading and writing about all things related to sustainable living including homesteading skills, green building and renewable energy. You can find her on .

becky
5/4/2014 11:43:00 PM
I put my jars in the food dehydrator. Not sure how long to leave them. And I put the lids on the jars. Not sure if that was correct.

4/18/2013 11:23:32 PM

Adolfo Lunardi
11/30/2012 6:12:54 PM
I made yogurt and was told to add sugar or honey, or whatever, only to the finished product, after chilling. The yogurt lost itslost its thickness and became more liquidy, like it "broke". Can the milk be sweetened while being heated?

Adolfo Lunardi
11/30/2012 6:05:45 PM
I set the Pitched milk pot,with it's Clean and sanitized lid (use the water of the Double boiler) on an electric heat pad wrapped in Towels. To Make a Double-Boiler:You can use a small pot in a larger pot With water half way up the smaller one. Hold the pot down, as it will float, to measure water amount.. Turn pot up side down to allow steam to sanitize it. Pour in our milk. If the pot is too small, as mine is, I used a couple of Chop sticks or a Wooden spoon under one of the handles. If you are gentle, as you should be making yogurt, then it shouldn't slip. Put a split Vanillla bean in the milk. I also scape the seeds and put them. Before adding the yogurt, the milk is straing through a fine-mesh strainer

Michael Reeps
12/10/2008 9:06:24 AM
I own and operate the website MakeYourOwnYogurt.com, which I think would be a nice companion to this article. It's a step-by-step tutorial, with photographic examples, which will have you making yogurt in no time at all. Here is a link: http://www.makeyourownyogurt.com/ I hope your readers find this a valuable resource.

akwe
10/8/2008 5:42:20 PM
Thank you so much for the recipe; I am so passionate about cooking, but i have never tried making yogurt.Now i have to try that out.My daughter has been putting pressure on me to try some home-made yogurt.Thanks indeed.Could be really easy.

Raylene c
5/21/2007 12:00:00 AM
i would also like to know where to find where I can get live bacteria. Thank you

IRVIN Amoraal
4/4/2007 12:00:00 AM
I remember my mother making it. For part 4 (keep it warm) she would place a towel over the bowl and place the bowl over the forced air register overnight. When we woke up we would have fresh yogurt for breakfast! Yummy.

DANIEL Cook
3/26/2007 12:00:00 AM
Thanks for the recipes and tips; I will try this right away. In my opinion, though, the jury's still out regarding using microwave ovens to cook food. I am not convinced that microwaves don't destroy the nutrients in our food... I prefer good old fashioned heat for cooking. (Obviously we all make our own decisions.)

Evonne Maas
3/26/2007 12:00:00 AM
I didn't mean to exclude you RSherdan, but I guess by mousing back and forth between everybody's comments and the "Write Your Comment" section, I missed your short but shared question. Whoever answers about using soymilk, please alert RSherdan too. Thanks. Soon as I get enough info, will try making my own and share results here. Would appreciate yours also.~~Evonne (again)

STEPHANIE hughes_1
3/22/2007 12:00:00 AM
re Making YoghurtFor those keen to avoid too much dairy,longlife soya milk makes good yoghurt too. I don't know if there is a way to start it without using a cows milk yoghurt starter, I would be interested to know. Stephanie

DAVID Brown_4
3/21/2007 12:00:00 AM
Materials: 1/2 gal organic milk, 1/2 cup yogurtTools: Microwave oven, 1/2 gal pyrex cup, wire wisk, two 1 qt plastic containers, 1 chop stick, 1 linen towel.Method: take 1/2 cup of yogurt out of fridge, cook on high in microwave the 1/2 gal of milk in the 1/2 gal pyrex cup, when the milk froths then it is ready to take out of microwave (usually 16 min), let milk cool to luke warm ( leave skim on top ), test milk for luke warm by sticking finger in milk with eyes closed if no heat is felt then the milk is luke warm, if milk is cold then warm the milk back up, retest for luke warm,remove skim with spoon and throw away the skimpour the 1/2 cup of yogurt into the milk, wisk for a few minutes.pour the mix into the platic containersset the containers with mix back into the microwave (I have an over the stove microwave with the light (on high) underneath the microwave for heat, you can also sit the containers in an oven with the light on, etc.) ( and don't turn on the microwave) ( the only heat for incubating the yogurt is the heat from the lamp )put the chop stick over the containers to support the linen cloth. the cloth needs to cover the containers.close the oven door, wait 6-8 hours, take out the yogurt, cover the containers, refrigerate, eat.use whatever grade of milk, the more fat the more creamy, the more or less time you alow for making the yogurt will make the finished yogurt sour or sweet.

ROBERT Sherdan
3/21/2007 12:00:00 AM
Can you make yogurt with soy milk?

NIXON valdez
3/21/2007 12:00:00 AM
Actually, yogurt originates from Bulgaria, not Turkey, thats why lactic bacteria is called "Lactobacillus bulgaricus".After you heat the milk to 120 degrees - all you have to do is to put the bacteria in and wrap it in a blanket for few hours. You really don't need to be meticulous about the temperature.Other important thing is that you must not move or shake the pot during the production time.It's considered best to use special bacteria concentrate istead of brand yougurt with live bacteria, because Lactobacillus suffers "generation loss" - every time you use "yougurt to make yougurt" the bacteria gets weaker... that said - you need a "fresh start" from time to time.Good luck!