Just the thought of warm, flowing maple syrup would have anyone’s mouth watering for a full breakfast topped with that amber goodness. With over a hundred recipes (complete with full-color pictures), Ken Haedrich’s Maple Syrup Cookbook will have you ready for every meal of the day. Soups, appetizers, dinners and desserts are all elevated by this key ingredient’s unique flavor, and easy recipes like this provide unforgettable new ways to satisfy any craving for natural, healthy maple syrup.
Curried Pumpkin-Apple Soup
Dianne Cutillo says her passion for maple syrup grew immensely while working on this book. Inspired by her new maple mania, she revised this recipe. More like “transformed,” she reports. Dianne’s family and friends love the maple version. Why am I not surprised?
• 4 tablespoons butter
• 1 cup chopped Vidalia onion
• 1 small apple (Braeburn or Granny Smith), peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 teaspoon curry powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 1 cup apple cider
• 2 cups pumpkin purée
• 1 cup light cream or half-and-half
• 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, apple, and garlic, and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder, salt, coriander, and red pepper; cook for 1 minute.
2. Add the broth and cider and boil gently, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Stir in the pumpkin, cream, and maple syrup; cook for 5 minutes.
4. In a food processor or blender, puree the soup in three or four batches. (Always be careful when pureeing hot liquids in a blender. Never fill the container more than one-third full to avoid the risk of the lid blowing off.) Return the soup to the pot and cook over very low heat for 5 minutes; do not boil.
5. Ladle the soup into four bowls and serve piping hot.
Find more recipes from this cookbook:
Excerpted from The Maple Syrup Cookbook, 3rd Ed., (c) Ken Haedrich. Photographs by (c) Michael Piazza Photography. Used with permission of Storey Publishing.