Natural Health

Healthy living, herbal remedies and DIY natural beauty.

Borax Has Issues; You Have Alternatives

2/18/2011 10:46:22 AM

Tags: borax, Environmental Working Group, green cleanining, baking soda, Robyn Griggs Lawrence

Bad news for Borax users (myself included): The Environmental Working Group (EWG) reports this week that breathing or touching the mineral—a much-used ingredient in green cleaners—can cause skin and eye irritation and may disrupt hormones and harm the male reproductive system. The EWG recommends staying away from the naturally occurring salt, a frequent ingredient in cleaners and beauty products. Borax is not a green cleaning ingredient, as many have been led to believe,” EWG senior scientist Rebecca Sutton reports. EWG offers alternative  tips on green cleaning.

At Natural Home magazine, we’ve been recommending borax as a safer alternative to the harsh chemicals found in traditional cleaning products for more than a decade. Borax removes mildew and stains and gives homemade laundry detergent a little extra boost. We included it in our recommended arsenal of good green cleaning products in the current issue. Well, darn.

If you make your own cleaning products—as a way to avoid potentially harmful industrial chemicals—EWG recommends simply omitting borax. Natural Home has several borax-free cleaning recipes in its arsenal and recommends baking soda as a safe, nontoxic alternative to borax for cleaning and deodorizing. A few simple tips:

--For an all-purpose homemade cleaner, dissolve 4 tablespoons baking soda in 1 quart warm water. Sprinkle baking soda directly on a damp cloth or sponge, and scrub.

--Add some dry salt for an extra burst of power. This can replace most abrasive cleaners.

--Scrub mildewed or stained surfaces with baking soda.

--Use vinegar and lemon juice to remove mineral deposits and wax or grease buildup. Dilute them in water (use equal parts white vinegar or lemon juice and warm water) to clean glass or stainless steel.

--To clear clogged drains, pour some baking soda and vinegar down the drain, followed by 3 cups boiling water. Mixing baking soda and vinegar creates a bubbling, fizzing chemical reaction. (Do not use this mixture in conjunction with a toxic drain cleaner!)

borax and baking soda

Baking soda is a safer alternative to borax. Photo courtesy Flickr/Smysnbrg

Baking Soda for Ruminant Bloat, or How My Ram Cheats Death

How I use baking soda to treat my ram that is prone to bloat.

$25 DIY Greenhouse

You can build a small greenhouse in an afternoon!

DIY Natural Laundry Soap

Clean everything in your laundry basket — for less! — by enlisting common, nontoxic ingredients such...

Product Warnings: Take With a Grain of Borax

The best defense against potential hazards in products you like? Be responsible.

mhikl
10/14/2014 1:03:52 PM
I agree with other posters that there are problems with the studies. Boron/ via Borax in minute amounts is important for health: Walter Last has written a study on Borax called “The Borax Conspiracy”. It is very detailed. Google it of use this link: http://www.health-science-spir... I have been using it for years to clean my rugs and in my laundry and as a health support for many purposes. I add a pinch <1/16tsp or more to my health drinks to strengthen my bones and teeth. I also brush my teeth with a mix of borax and Himalayan salt, about half and half. I also boil about 2TBS in a litre of water and when it cools most of the Borax settles to the bottom of my jar as a glassy looking crystal. The water I then pour into a nasal spray with <1/4tsp baking soda or a small packet meant for a neti pot of about 250ml size. I clears up my nasal passages and I can breath easier. Most of the borax is passed in bowel movements and helps rid the gut and intestines of small hair like worms, fungus, moulds and other pathogens thought it is very weak in its affect on bacteria. I do not understand the worry on a few sites over this product. I have read all the warnings and find it much safer than the chemical replacements for laundry and cleaning rugs etc. It is less than half as dangerous as salt: 1/2 cup of salt will kill a person; twice that amount has no affect on a human in independent science studies, associated numbers on animals in such studies. We need to protect our health and it can prevent cavities in children’s & adult teeth making both the bones and teeth extremely strong. The elderly would definitely benefit by using this mineral. It is been depleted from our soils so little is getting to people through their vegetables. A pinch a few times a week is all that is needed. I truly believe it would put dentists out of the cavity business. Regardless, with any food or element added to ones diet or home use, research is very important. We live in wondrous times of information. Do your own studies. Namaste and care, mhikl

cecily
8/25/2014 7:11:11 AM
the powers that be (namely BigPharma and ilk) just don't want you to have the best remedy ever. http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm

Deve
10/3/2012 8:04:17 PM
*sad

Deve
10/3/2012 8:04:05 PM
So said this recipe's site (http://greenergreener.com/homemade-laundry-detergent/) is now empty

GreenerGreener
3/23/2011 11:12:05 PM
I've been hearing concerns about Borax for a while now. It's an odd coincidence that they just changed their packaging to look all green and eco-friendly. I have a homemade laundry detergent recipe that I used to use Borax in. I recently updated it to replace the Borax with baking soda and it works great. Here's a link to my recipe: http://greenergreener.com/homemade-laundry-detergent/

RADICAL MAMA
2/18/2011 8:12:55 PM
so, does anyone realize that another headline this week is the ham story where we are told to coat the ham in borax? really wondering where the powers-that-be are lately????? it seems that everything here lately is NOT natural. tames they are a changing, time to hop onboard.