Kitchen pharmacy meets green cleaning and natural beauty in this comprehensive handbook. Expert herbalist Pip Waller provides 501 recipes that harness the power of plants to enhance wellness and toxin-free living. Within these pages, you’ll find a wealth of information about growing, collecting, preserving and preparing herbs for a variety of purposes … from cleaning products to food and drink, medicines, beauty products, and more. Attractive and easy to use, The Herbal Handbook for Home and Health includes growing tips and profiles of herbs, guidelines for setting up an herbalist's kitchen, and techniques to make everything from tinctures to tonics. A valuable resource for anyone affected by allergies or sensitivities, this compendium is handsomely produced with two-color printing throughout and more than 300 striking illustrations.
The handbook includes contributions from herbalists from around the world and encompasses recipes that range from simple to complex. Seasoned herbalists as well as those just beginning to explore the world of herbs will find something to start their own nontoxic, nonallergenic domestic revolution.
The book includes:
- A history of herbal lore
- The herbalist's kitchen: equipment and procedures for harnessing the power of plants
- Green cleaning products (from floor wax to stain removers)
- Herbal pharmacy (from throat lozenges to hangover cures)
- Nutritional supplements and detoxes
- First aid (from anti-anxiety drops to bruise ointment)
- Travel companions (insect repellant to anti-nausea drops)
- Food and drink (breads, butters, wines, teas)
- Beauty and balms (toothpaste to shampoo to lip balm)
- Kitchen pharmacy
- Food and drink
- Personal care