Almost everything you need to know about growing and preserving your own food at home is in this 100-page guide from Mother Earth News. How to Grow and Preserve Your Own Food provides excellent articles filled with tips and advice for growing a healthy, successful garden, as well as canning your leftover bounty to enjoy in those cold winter months.
Read how you can build better garden soil and make your own compost. Follow instructions for building your own mini-greenhouse with low tunnels for year-round gardening. Learn the benefits of using chickens in your garden. Discover how to grow lettuce, garlic and carrots.
Not only are there wonderful articles for planting, growing and harvesting your garden produce, there's also information-rich articles for preserving that produce. "How to Store Fresh Vegetables" shows the best crops to grow or buy, and the right way to keep them fresher longer. Save money with "Learn to Can for Homegrown Flavor" and enjoy the delicious foods all winter with this traditional preservation skill. Read how to dry your own food and herbs, brew your own cider, make sauerkraut and more.
Other articles included are:
- Grow a Great Fall Garden: Here's everything you need to know to grow crisp, delicious broccoli, carrots, spinach and more.
- Outdoor Root Cellars: Here are five easy ways to store fresh food for winter right in your garden - it's as easy as tossing a bagful of leaves over a patch of carrots!
- Built This Portable, Predator-Proof Coop for Your Backyard: This low-cost coop plan makes raising backyard chickens easier for just about anyone.
- The Best Kales: Sow this cold-hardy crop now for sweet soups and salads to savor throughout winter.
- Fall in Love With Spinach: Packed with nutrition, this versatile vegetable can be grown almost anywhere.