The editors at MOTHER EARTH NEWS have compiled the best money-saving articles into one invaluable guide. Guide to Saving Money on Food will help you cut your food bills in half with simple bread recipes, instructions how to preserve your own food, gardening techniques, tips on grocery shopping, and so much more.
Read how to slash your family’s food costs in half – and support local farmers – by purchasing meat, produce and dry goods in bulk. Discover how to grow food in small spaces (you just need a little sunshine and dedication, plus some imagination). Learn how to keep chickens in the garden, putting their manure to work in the soil and enlisting your birds for organic pest control. Try new recipes for homemade bread, hot sauce, cheese and yogurt.
More articles include:
- 20 Crops That Keep and How to Store Them: Stash a winter’s worth of delicious, homegrown produce in the cool corners of your homestead.
- Live on Less and Love It!: Try these 75 inspiring ideas for enjoying life more while spending and consuming less.
- Use Cold Frames to Grow More Food: Sow seeds in simple frames to add more than a month to your spring garden season.
- Outdoor Root Cellars: Try these five ways to store fresh food for winter right in your garden – it’s as easy as tossing a bagful of leaves over a patch of carrots!
- Raising Chickens for Meat: Want to ensure that the chicken on your plate was raised and processed humanely? Do it yourself!