Here is a holistic approach to small-area farming that will show you how to produce 85 percent of an average family's food on just one-quarter acre — and earn $10,000 in cash annually. This is not back-to-the-land utopianism, but a tested and pragmatic method that can be applied in small lots in rural, suburban and even urban areas. Even if you have never been a farmer or a gardener, Brett Markham's advice will teach you what you need to know:
- Saving, buying, starting, and selecting seeds
- Maintaining and improving soil
- Preventing and eradicating pests and diseases
- Compost, crop rotation, and timing
- Using organic methods
- Garden planning to meet dietary requirements
- Raising poultry
- Raising and pruning fruits and nuts
- Canning, freezing, and dehydrating
- Selling your excess produce for top dollar
- And more!
More than just a how-to guide for self-sufficiency, Mini Farming teaches you the underlying principles of mini-farming so you will have the knowledge to make your own unique applications. Materials, tools and techniques are detailed with over a hundred photographs, tables, diagrams and illustrations.