Chickens have become the mascot of the local food movement. A desire for sustainable, clean, wholesome food and superior soil quality has led more and more suburban and city dwellers to keep lying hens in their backyards and gardens. Across America municipalities are allowing, and even encouraging, residents to keep laying hens within city limits.
Learn how you can:
- Have fresh, heart-healthy eggs, daily from your backyard home flock.
- Employ your chicken's "skill set" as garden workers, organic pesticiders, herbiciders, fertilizers, compost creators and top soil enhancers.
- Take the best care of your flock and become a Chicken Whisperer.
- Save millions of tax payer dollars by using chickens to divert food and yard waste from landfills and waste management systems.
- Be a Primary Poultry Health Care Practitioner to save on vet bills. The Poultry's Pharmacy shows you how to make and use effective, inexpensive home treatments.
- Draft and pass local laws allowing laying hens within your town or city.
- Avoid roosters and why you don't want them.
- Do much, much more with chickens than you ever thought possible, including outrageous chicken tricks.
Learn how others:
- Have built urban chicken tractors, hen huts, condos and chicken chateaus to blend in with neighborhood landscape and architecture.
- Join in urban eco-agri-tourism with annual coop & garden home tours for fund raising.
- Start or join local poultry clubs.
- Keep small flocks to help preserve endangered breeds of chickens.
- Draft and pass local laws allowing laying hens within their town's limits.
By the co-author of Chicken Tractor, Backyard Market Gardening and Day Range Poultry. City Chicks is a revolutionary way of keeping and using chickens by thinking "outside the coop" and "inside the city". More than 100 photos, drawings, and tables give visual clarity.
The imaginative and entertaining style of writing is combined with hands-on, real-life experience to bring you one of the most complete and authoritative books on micro-flock management.