Have you always wanted to can food, but don't know where to start? These canning cookbooks will help you find techniques and canning recipes that will work for you.
The homesteading movement is continuing to grow, as more people are stepping up to have a hand in where their food comes from. Whether you want to dabble or immerse yourself completely in the do-it-yourself, back-to-basics lifestyle, Welcome to the Farm is a comprehensive, fully illustrated guide to growing the very best food right in your own backyard. Shaye Elliott takes readers on a journey that teaches them how to harvest baskets full of organic produce, milk a dairy cow (and make butter), plant a homestead orchard, can jams and jellies, and even raise chickens and bees. From her experience running The Elliott Homestead, Shaye provides all the how-to wisdom you need to know about:
- The benefits of a home garden
- The basics of seed starting
- Building your own greenhouse
- What belongs in the winter garden
- Canning, freezing, and dehydrating techniques and recipes
- The pros and cons of caged vs. free-range chickens
- Keeping a dairy cow and what to do with all the milk
- Raising animals for meat
- Making your own cider and wine
- And so much more!
Welcome to the Farm is aimed to serve homesteaders and urban-farmers alike, guiding them through the beginning stages of small-area farming and utilizing whatever amount of space they have available for optimal and delicious food production.
Author: Shaye Ellliot