- 1-1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 to 2 chilies, minced
- 1 medium sweet pepper, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp oregano, fresh or dried
- 1 pound chicken breast, cubed (optional)
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- Sea salt and freshly grated pepper
- Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- Tortilla chips, crumbled
- Fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- In a large pot, sauté onions and garlic in oil until translucent.
- Add peppers, cumin, oregano and chicken (if desired). Sauté until chicken is browned, or about 10 minutes if making a vegetarian soup.
- Add tomatoes, cooking over medium heat until they release their juices.
- Add stock and corn kernels. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with grated cheese, crumbled tortilla chips, and cilantro or parsley.
Read more about cold weather soup recipes: Warming Winter Soups.