This garden-greens purée makes a delicious dip, spread or side dish. You can use super-nutritious kale or any combination of broccoli rabe, collards, beet greens or turnip greens.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 small red or yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 to 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed 8 to 10 cups seasonal greens (kale, broccoli rabe, collards, beet greens or turnip greens), removed from stems and chopped
- 1/2 cup water, stock or dry white wine
- Juice and zest of lemon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 or 3 tbsp cashew butter or peanut butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, onion and garlic, and sauté until onions are soft and garlic is lightly browned.
- Mix in greens, stir and add stock, wine or water.
- Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until greens are very soft. Check often to make sure there is enough liquid; add a small amount of water if necessary.
- Remove from heat and place the mixture in a blender. Add lemon zest and juice, honey and cashew or peanut butter, and purée until smooth and creamy.
- Blend in salt and pepper to taste.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups.