I've never been a huge fan of beets, but that's probably because they're one of those scary vegetables that people don't know what to do with ... they're messy to cook, and heaven forbid you splash juice all over the kitchen. I recently was treated to a delicious beet salad at a friend's house for dinner that just toally knocked my socks off and converted me into a beet lover. I hope you like it, too. I'm serving this with our grassfed lamb chops tonight for dinner.
- 3 medium to large beets
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 to 5 large leafs of basil (or more)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper and sea salt
- Steam the whole beets until fork tender.
- When cool enough to handle, scrape off the skins or peel with a knife. I did this over a layer of paper towels to cut down on the mess.
- Julienne the beets and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the onion and basil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegars and olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the beets and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer before serving.