Unlike other books that focus on foraging, Roger Phillips gives detailed recipes and preparation instructions that are crucial to cooking and enjoying wild foods in The Wild Food Cookbook (Countryman Press, 2014). As we rediscover the deep nutritional value of wild foods, a reliable guide to deploying these healthy, natural ingredients in the kitchen will be necessary — this cookbook fills that need admirably.
You can purchase this book from the MOTHER EARTH NEWS store: The Wild Food Cookbook.
Sweetbread Mushroom or Miller’s Mushroom, Clitopilus prunulus, is white, cream, or grayish in color, with a cap textured like kid leather and white to pink gills that descend the stalk. The smell is strongly mealy. The sweetbread mushroom grows in grassy, open woodlands and occurs from July to September, later in the Southwest. Found throughout North America.
Caution: Never eat any mushroom unless you have positively identified it as edible.
For the Pastry:
• 1-1/4 cups flour
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup butter
• 1/3 cup shortening
• 1–2 tablespoons milk
For the Filling:
• 2 cups chopped sweetbread mushrooms
• 3 eggs
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 onion, thinly sliced
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh herbs
• salt and pepper to taste
First, make the pastry:
1. Sift the flour and salt together, then cut in the butter and shortening with a fork until the mixture resembles small peas.
2. Add enough milk to form a dough and shape into a smooth ball.
3. Chill in the refrigerator for half an hour, then line a greased 10-inch pie pan and bake the shell for 10 to 12 minutes in a preheated 325 degree F oven.
Now make the filling:
1. Wash the mushrooms, dry them with paper towels, and chop them finely.
2. Beat the eggs in a bowl, add the cream, and mix thoroughly.
3. Heat the butter in a frying pan, add the onion, garlic, herbs, salt, pepper, and mushrooms, and sauté over medium heat until they are well softened.
4. Then stir the mixture into the eggs and cream.
5. Pour this mixture into the pie shell and bake in a preheated 325 degree F oven for 30 minutes.
More Recipes from The Wild Food Cookbook:
Reprinted with permission from The Wild Food Cookbook by Roger Phillips and published by Countryman Press, 2014. Buy this book from our store: The Wild Food Cookbook.