We worked with our nutritionists to devise this hearty breakfast that combines oats, apples, nuts, and matcha — four key foods that “help to lower cholesterol levels and slash the risk of heart disease.”
For the Oats
- 1 cup (80g) rolled oats
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1-1/2 cups (375ml) almond milk (or hazelnut, rice, or oat milk)
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 2 pinches of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp runny honey
For the Topping
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 tsp pumpkin seeds
- Handful of mixed nuts
If you have time make this in advance — ideally the night before you wish to eat it.
- Place the oats and chia seeds in a bowl or container.
- In a separate bowl or jar, add 1 tbsp of the almond milk to the matcha powder and whisk to make a smooth paste. Top with the rest of the milk and mix well.
- Pour the matcha milk mixture over the oats, then stir in the cinnamon and honey. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to eat, transfer the oats to two bowls and top with the chopped apple, pumpkin seeds, and nuts.