Bob’s Red Mill Everyday Gluten-Free Cookbook (Robert Rose, 2015), showcases the breadth, ease and versatility of naturally gluten-free grains and flours, such as amaranth, sorghum, teff, chia, buckwheat, millet and more. Discover the bounty of these nutrient-dense ancient grains and learn how to turn them into delicious everyday entrees, side dishes and treats.
You can purchase this book from the MOTHER EARTH NEWS store: Bob’s Red Mill Everyday Gluten-Free Cookbook
Gluten-Free Olive Oil Cake Recipe with Cherries and Dark Chocolate
There’s no disputing the exquisite flavor of extra virgin olive oil in a host of savory dishes, but it is also worthy of praise as a key ingredient in desserts. This Italian-inspired cake — akin to rustic, sweet polenta cakes — is good-to-the-last-forkful proof.
• 1 cup millet flour
• 2/3 cup sorghum flour
• 2/3 cup potato starch
• 2 tbsp chia seeds, ground (see tip)
• 2 tsp GF baking powder
• 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
• 3 large eggs
• 3/4 cup fine crystal cane sugar
• 1 cup olive oil
• 3/4 cup milk or plain non-dairy milk
• 4 oz GF bittersweet (dark) chocolate, cut into chunks
• 2/3 cup dried tart cherries, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
2. Grease 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan
3. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs until very well blended. Whisk in sugar, oil and milk until blended.
4. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Gently stir in chocolate and cherries.
5. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
You can grind the chia seeds with a mortar and pestle or seal them in a small, heavy-duty plastic bag with a zipper top and pound them with a mallet or rolling pin until crushed.
If using non-dairy milk, try hemp, rice or almond.
More From Bob's Red Mill Everyday Gluten-Free Cookbook:
Reprinted with permission from Bob’s Red Mill Everyday Gluten-Free Cookbook by Camilla V. Saulsbury and published by Robert Rose, 2015. Buy this book from our store: Bob’s Red Mill Everyday Gluten-Free Cookbook.