The Earth-Bound Cook (Workman Publishing, 2010) by Myra Goodman is a guide for readers to learn how to easily cook in sync with the environment with sustainably produced ingredients. Readers will feel empowered about environmental issues instead of overwhelmed by them after reading this book. Throughout the book there are informative spotlights and sidebars along with tips meant to help educate cooks on their choices in food, appliance use, prep habits, and cleanup can affect the environment.
This dessert is very simple and satisfying, and a great way to use up a surplus of ripe bananas. Roasting bananas in their skins concentrates their sweetness and makes them tender and moist. When mixed with cream and rum, they are transformed into a light, silky mousse with intense banana flavor.
- 5 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup sugar, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons dark rum, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1-1/4 cups heavy (whipping) cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped salted macadamia nuts, for garnish (optional)
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Set 4 bananas, in their skins, directly on the oven rack and bake until the fruit is very soft, about 15 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the bananas to a wire rack to cool.
- When they are cool enough to handle, peel the bananas and discard the skins. Transfer the bananas to a food processor, and puree them. Then add the sugar, rum, vanilla, and a pinch or two of nutmeg, and process until the mixture is smooth. Add the cream and process for 1 minute.
- Divide the mixture among six small ramekins. (If you are not serving the dessert immediately, refrigerate the ramekins, covered, for up to 1 day.)
- To serve, slice the remaining (unroasted) banana into thin rounds. Arrange 2 or 3 rounds on top of each serving, sprinkle with the macadamia nuts if using, and top with a light dusting of nutmeg.
More from The Earth-Bound Cook:
- Cauliflower Couscous Recipe
- Rigatoni with Eggplant and Buffalo Mozzarella Recipe
- Parmesan Stock Recipe
From The Earth-Bound Cook: 250 Recipes for Delicious Food and A Healthy Planet, by Myra Goodman. Published by Workman Publishing, © 2010. Used with permission from Workman Publishing.