What's on the menu for this Meatless Monday, on a night getting dangerously close to the shortest night of the year? I'm thinking this simple, easy-to-make and comforting herb-infused macaroni sounds like it might fit the bill perfectly! I borrowed this yummy recipe from our sister publication The Herb Companion.
Mediterranean Herb-Baked Macaroni
2-quart casserole pan, lightly oiled
• 1/2 pound elbow macaroni (I prefer whole wheat pasta
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 1 tablespoon powdered mustard
• 3 cups low fat milk
• 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or savory
• 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
• 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
• 1 teaspoon sea salt, freshly grated
• Fresh black pepper
• 1/2 cup whole wheat or panko bread crumbs
• 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta for 7 minutes, or to al dente.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for 3 minutes. Make sure it's free of lumps. Stir in the milk, onion, parsley and thyme. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese, bread crumbs, parsley and walnuts. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE