The Kitchen Pantry Cookbook: Make Your Own Condiments and Essentials (Quarry Books, 2013) by Erin Coopey is a great reference for learning to make your own homemade potato chips. Full of over 90 recipes, making potato chips at home will eliminate your need to buy them from the store.
You can purchase this book from the MOTHER EARTH NEWS BOOKSTORE: The Kitchen Pantry Cookbook: Make Your Own Condiments and Essentials
Even slices are the key to consistent chips, so unless you’ve got an eagle eye and a steady hand, using a mandoline is your best bet.
Homemade Potato Chips Recipe
• 1 pound (455 g) russet or Idaho potatoes, peeled or simply scrubbed clean
• About 8 cups (1.9 L) rice bran oil, canola oil, or beef tallow, for frying
• Fine sea salt, to taste
1. Slice the potatoes very thinly, 1/8 inch (3 mm) or thinner. Place the slices in a bowl of cold water. Add a handful of ice cubes to help crisp the slices. Allow to chill for 30 minutes.
2. In a deep fryer or heavy-bottomed stockpot, heat the oil to 320 degrees to 350 degrees F (160 degrees to 180 degrees C).
3. Line a cookie sheet with paper towels.
4. Pour the sliced potatoes through a colander to drain. Remove any unmelted ice cubes and pat the potatoes dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels.
5. Using a blanching basket, stir-fry spider, or slotted spoon, fry batches of potatoes until golden and crisp on both sides, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stirring the potatoes gently as you fry can help them crisp evenly and not clump together. Drain the potatoes of excess oil over the fryer, transfer them to the prepared cookie sheet, and season with salt.
6. Cool to room temperature before serving. Store any uneaten potato chips (yeah, like that’s gonna happen) in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.
More recipes from The Kitchen Pantry Cookbook: Make Your Own Condiments and Essentials:
Reprinted with permission from The Kitchen Pantry Cookbook: Make Your Own Condiments and Essentials by Erin Coopey. Published by Quarry Books Publishing, 2013. You can buy this book from our store: The Kitchen Pantry Cookbook: Make Your Own Condiments and Essentials