- 2 quarts cream or half-and-half, at room temperature (about 72 degrees)
- 1 packet direct-set mesophilic starter or 4 ounces prepared mesophilic starter
- Cheese salt (optional)
- Add the starter to the cream, and mix thoroughly. Cover and let sit for 12 hours; a solid curd will form.
- Pour the curd into a colander lined with cheesecloth. Tie the cheesecloth into a bag, and hang from a hook until the bag stops dripping, about 12 hours. Changing the bag once or twice can speed up the process.
- Place cheese in a bowl and mix in the desired amount of salt. You can leave the cheese in this container, or pack it into molds of any size. You can also add any desired herbs and spices at this stage. Your cream cheese will store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Make even more homemade cheeses in the kitchen. Read Easy Cheesy: 4 Super-Simple Cheese Making Recipes.
This homemade cream cheese recipe is easy to make! You can store it easily in the fridge and mix in desired herbs and spices to fit your tastes! Just imagine pairing this homemade cream cheese with your morning bagel or spreading it over a cracker. This easy cream cheese recipe will turn you into a cheese making pro! Well maybe not, but you’ll certainly feel like one while enjoying your first homemade cream cheese product.