Quick and Easy Dehydrated Meals in a Bag (Stackpole Books, 2018) by Tammy Gangloff, Steven Gangloff, and September Ferguson gives families handy recipes to whip up quick meals, offers hikers meals to take on their adventures, and survivalists who are looking to dehydrate their meals to store for emergencies. The following excerpt is their recipe for Crab Chowder in a bag.
Meals in a bag are for you to use at dinnertime to whip together a beautiful and robust meal in a snap! You will make your family and guests think that you have been slaving in the kitchen for hours making these flavorful dishes. We’ll let that part be our little secret!
Large Bag• 1⁄2 cup dehydrated corn
• 1⁄2 cup dehydrated sliced onions
• 1⁄4 cup dehydrated chopped green bell pepper
• 1⁄8 cup dehydrated diced carrots
• 1 cup dehydrated small cubed red potatoes with peelings
• 1 cup powdered milk
• 1 tablespoon dehydrated parsley, crushed
• 11⁄2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
• 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 teaspoon flour
To store: Place all ingredients into bags. Place small bag into large bag, seal, and label with cooking instructions.
Cooking Ingredients• 8-1⁄2 cups water
• 1 cup crab meat (use real or imitation crab)
1. Add ingredients from large and small bags into medium pot.
2. Add water and stir.
3. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes.
4. Add crab, cover, and cook an additional 10 minutes.
More from: Quick and Easy Dehydrated Meals in a Bag• Your Introduction to Meals in a Bag
• Hearty Italian Minestrone Soup Recipe
• Sausage-Potato Bake Recipe
Reprinted with permission from Quick and Easy Dehydrated Meals in a Bag (2018), by Tammy Gangloff, Steven Gangloff, and September Ferguson and published by Stackpole Books.