My mushroom log is starting to become dry. Each day I’ve been spraying it with water, like Doug Williams at Lost Creek Mushroom Farms suggested, but I don’t think it’s enough. Because I still haven’t shocked it, I’m going to try that this weekend. To shock the log, I’m going to soak it in a gallon of non-chlorinated ice water, which I’m told will trigger fruiting. After that, I’m going to try and keep it at the optimum temperature between 62 and 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Hopefully, the log will start growing again.
In the mean time, I cut off one of the mushrooms that grew three to five inches in diameter. I decided to sauté it in some butter with a little bit of red wine. The mushroom mixture turned out to be extremely flavorful — and the wine added the perfect kick to it. I just ate it as is, but if you’re looking for something more, try some of these ingredient-filled mushroom recipes in The Master of Mushroom Cookery.
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE