I wanted to share with you a beautiful and healthy simple meal I recently crafted myself. It is loaded with vitamins and minerals, which is something so important to me in the days of pandemic. Everything I create lately, I scrutinize for nutrient content. I want my food to be aesthetically pleasing and to feed me with a daily blend of immune-supporting ingredients.
Crockpot meals are easy and can breezily be adjusted to fit family size. I am demonstrating in my video this meal I created for one person, because I think it’s really important to value yourself.
Cooking is not limited to those with a large number of mouths to feed. It is important to nourish the whole person, and that’s what this meal does. Feel free to add in another piece of chicken or two to meet your household needs. In the recipe below, I show you how to make this for two people. Double the recipe to feed four. Halve for one person.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 carrot, chopped
- ½ tomato
- ½ bell pepper
- ½ cup spinach
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon Tajín seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
1. Line the base of a crockpot with enough salsa to cover the bottom. Add a little water if needed to have enough liquid in your base.
2. Place chicken breasts in crockpot.
3. Cover with all vegetables, seasonings, and butter.
4. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. Check periodically, and adjust cooking time if necessary.
Monica Sharrock loves making healthy and beautiful food from her home in rural Oklahoma. Check out Monica’s YouTube channel and subscribe to be alerted to any new recipe she features here on MOTHER EARTH NEWS. Read all of her posts here.
All MOTHER EARTH NEWS community bloggers have agreed to follow our Blogging Guidelines, and they are responsible for the accuracy of their posts.