Family Table (Lyons Press, 2018) by Shaye Elliott proves that a homesteading dream can become a fruitful reality. Elliott brings readers recipes that stem directly from her own experience working her family’s farm, from complex dishes to simple sauces and butters. The following excerpt is her recipe for breakfast quinoa with eggs with an optional smoked hollandaise sauce.
If you want to impress in a major way, make this for breakfast. Or for lunch. Or for dinner. When it’s been drizzled in a smoky hollandaise, there are no rules.
• 2 cups filtered water
• 4 slices bacon
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 4 eggs
• Smoked Hollandaise Sauce (optional)
1. Combine the quinoa and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a low simmer, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender.
2. Meanwhile, in a cast-iron skillet, fry the bacon until crispy, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
3. In a separate cast-iron skillet, melt the butter and fry the eggs gently until they’re cooked but the yolks remain runny.
4. Spoon 1/2 cup of the cooked quinoa onto each of four plates. Top each pile of quinoa with one egg. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of Smoked Hollandaise Sauce. Crumble one piece of bacon over the top of the sauce and add a twist of freshly ground pepper.
5. Die of breakfast (or lunch or dinner) happiness.
More from: Family Table• Asparagus Soup with Poached Eggs Recipe
• Oven-Fried Zucchini with Cilantro Aioli Recipe
• Instant Berry Ice Cream Recipe
• Red Wine and Honey-Poached Pears and Plums Recipe
Reprinted with permission from Family Table (2018), by Shaye Elliott and published by Lyons Press.