- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 leek, cut into thin rings
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 2 to 3 medium potatoes, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large head broccoli, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 5 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (milder cheeses can be substituted)
- 1 cup half-and-half or cream
- 1 cup milk (all dairy can be replaced with soy milk)
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, minced
- In a large pot, sauté onion, leek and garlic in butter or oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add potato, carrot, green pepper and broccoli. Sauté 2 to 3 minutes, then add stock. Simmer until all ingredients are soft.
- Purée soup in a food processor or blender.
- Heat purée over medium heat, stirring in cheese, cream and milk. Simmer a couple minutes, then add sherry. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley.
Read more about cold weather soup recipes: Warming Winter Soups.