- 8 cups water, cold or room temperature
- 1 to 3 large onions, unpeeled, quartered
- 1 large carrot, scrubbed, quartered
- 2 cups potatoes, unpeeled, quartered
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled
- 3 ribs celery, with tops
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 2 tsp salt or tamari soy sauce
- Sprigs of fresh or dried herbs: oregano, basil, rosemary, sage, bay leaf, etc.
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (available in bulk at natural food stores)
- 1 tbsp white miso (use brown or red for a bolder flavor)
- In a stockpot, combine all ingredients except nutritional yeast and miso. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Let simmer for 2 hours.
- Allow stock to cool, then strain and throw the solids on the compost heap. Whisk in nutritional yeast and miso. (Miso contains live enzymes, so it should not be boiled.)
- Use immediately, refrigerate or freeze.
Read more about cold weather soup recipes: Warming Winter Soups.