Photo by Zac Williams
Provide a fall feast for 12 to 14 people with your harvested bounty of sweet potatoes.
- 3 to 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 20 ounces apple pie filling
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Layer sweet potatoes, pie filling, and raisins in a 12-inch Dutch oven. Sprinkle with allspice. Top with butter.
- Cover with the lid, and cook until potatoes are tender, about 1 hour, using 10 coals underneath the oven and 16 coals on top.
- Meanwhile, combine the topping ingredients in a saucepan and heat over a camp stove or a bed of 10 to 12 coals until the sugar clings to the pecans.
- Pour the topping onto a plastic cutting board to cool, then chop coarsely and sprinkle over potatoes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Dutch Oven: Cajun and Creole by Bill Ryan, published by Gibbs Smith.