No doubt you have your own ideas about how to coax a cornucopia from a patch of bare ground. I certainly won't stand in your way. But if you're not so experienced in the ways of trowel, shovel, and hoe, (and even if you are, we can all use a reminder now and then, right?) I've put together a list of my own favorite gardening tips.
1. Pick your favorite plants: If you don’t really like cabbage, don’t bother to grow it!
2. Balance delayed gratification with instant satisfaction: Buy some plants already about to flower and sow seeds around them. Buy some slow-growing perennials, but add annuals for quick, same-season color.
3. Don’t work harder than you have to. Why kill yourself digging rocky soil when you can import dirt and make a raised bed?
4. Ask around or barter for materials. We traded with our neighbors for wooden fish crates and bait barrels, which make fine planters and storage containers.
5. Get a wheelbarrow. This was our best garden purchase of the year, saving us hours of heavy carrying.
6. Collect manure, well-rotted compost, leaves, and seaweed to build your humus. Great soil maximizes your chances of having great plants.
7. Plant too much rather than too little. Widely spaced plants in empty beds look sad, encourage weeds, and need more watering. Fill up those beds!
8. Start seeds indoors to save money.
9. Get plants from friends, but make sure they’re healthy before bringing them home. Make sure they don’t include invasive weeds.
Mill Village, Nova Scotia
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE
At MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).
You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.