Home gardeners are often practical folks who seek bigger and better harvests every year, and their most beloved holiday presents likely fit that goal. Some of the best gifts for gardeners could be seeds, books, gardening gloves or high-quality tools — but what if the green thumb in your life is already well-stocked with these items?
Enter a one-of-a-kind holiday gift idea that may be the greatest tool out there for increasing garden productivity and efficiency — and fun! The Vegetable Garden Planner gift card gives the recipient a one-year subscription to MOTHER EARTH NEWS’ popular garden planning tool, which is an Internet-based program gardeners use right on their computers. The gift card costs $25, and these are just a few things you can do with the subscription:
- Draw out your garden beds and add the crops you want to grow.
- Create a personalized planting schedule for the crops you’re growing — just enter your ZIP code and the software adjusts to your area.
- Experiment with bed designs and plant placement.
- Plan succession sowings to maximize the amount you can grow throughout the year.
- Plan crop rotations to prevent pests and the depletion of soil nutrients.
- Keep track of plant varieties and take other notes.
- Get biweekly email reminders for what to plant now.
Gardeners have been raving about how the Vegetable Garden Planner has transformed their growing endeavors. They say it saves them loads of time and takes all the guesswork out of when to plant each type of crop in their exact area. The Garden Planner is also a blast to use, as it allows the user to move crops around between multiple beds or growing areas to arrive at the best layout possible.
Shelley Stonebrook is MOTHER EARTH NEWS magazine’s main gardening editor. She’s passionate about growing healthy, sustainable food and also runs Stonegrass Farms Soap Co. in her spare time. Follow her on Twitter and Pinterest.