Benefits of Sleep: Sleep Deeply, Live Longer

Why the benefits of sleep are essential and how to establish good sleeping habits.

| February/March 2007

SleepyReader

If you consistently have trouble falling asleep, sleep researcher Roger Cole suggests getting out of bed and engaging in a relaxing activity, such as reading or listening to mellow music, until you’re sleepy.

BRAND X PICTURES

If you woke up this morning feeling less than well rested, you’re not alone. No one is sure exactly how many of us spend our nights tossing and turning, but scientists estimate that somewhere between 10 percent to 34 percent of Americans suffer from insomnia. Our national lack of sleep amounts to big business for pharmaceutical companies, which spent more than $329 million in 2005 advertising prescription sleep aids. And those efforts have a big payoff — Americans spend approximately $2 billion each year on sleeping drugs, and $20 billion on other sleep-related products.

More than 60 percent of people in a 2005 survey conducted by the National Sleep Foundation admitted to driving while sleepy. But fatigue is not only dangerous in the short term — it also can have lasting impacts on our health. Studies show that sleep deprivation can contribute to everything from hypertension to depression to obesity.

If you share your bed with someone, chances are your inability to snooze disrupts your partner’s rest as well: In a recent Harris poll, 25 percent of people said that their partner’s sleeping habits kept them awake, costing them three or more hours of sleep each week. (Rest easy — most still said that they slept better with their partner than without.)

Given the statistics, it may be tempting to seek relief in a bottle of sleeping pills, but most of us can go a long way toward getting the rest we need by making a few basic lifestyle changes. Even for those with more serious sleep disorders, there’s a simple behavior modification plan to help you get reacquainted with your pillow.

Benefits of Sleep

While everyone’s sleep needs vary, a recent study conducted at the University of Chicago showed that, on average, most people spend about seven and a half hours sleeping or trying to sleep. Plus, those who sleep six to seven hours a night actually live longer than people who sleep less than four hours or more than eight hours, according to a study conducted by the American Cancer Society and the University of California, San Diego.

robert
7/17/2017 9:59:33 AM

I had insomnia past few years and I struggle with getting sleep every night, recently one of the website I found a guide getting natural solution for insomnia. I use the method and techniques inside the guide, my insomnia disappeared overnight naturally,read from here >>( http://healthandrich.com/pq )<< and now I am happy with my life.

robert
7/17/2017 8:37:59 AM

I had insomnia past few years and I struggle with getting sleep every night, recently one of the website I found a guide getting natural solution for insomnia. I use the method and techniques inside the guide, my insomnia disappeared overnight naturally,read from here >>( http://healthandrich.com/pq )<< and now I am happy in my life.

Lynn
5/26/2015 9:45:35 PM

So many health issues caused by bad or lack of sleep. Our body undertakes some vitally important repair and metabolic processes ONLY whilst we are asleep....so bad sleep...limited repair = illness Sleep is so often the first sacrifice for many in this every busy world. Move it up your list of priorities...you'll thank yourself for it I shared some thoughts on sleep recently: http://blog.naturalchemist.com.au/putting-some-zen-in-your-zzzzs-sleep-and-its-important-role-in-health/

Aastha Mehra
10/7/2013 6:41:31 AM

Very interesting post here. you can learn about this at: http://loss-of-weight-allegiance.com/symptoms-of-sleep-deprivation/

JENNIFER PATTERSON
11/20/2011 7:19:26 PM

Bed warmers have been used by people since we learned to master fire. Before the days of central heat and air, people used fire to warm larger stones and place into sleeping areas to help them rest comfortably through the night. This technology still works, and can help relieve arthritic pain. A Bed Warmer Stone can be heated and placed in the bed to enjoy the pain relief that only heat can deliver. Conventional bed warmers are electric – and give off harmful radiation, particularly if used on a regular basis. www.remoteXpedition.com natural basalt stones retain heat and offer slow, safe heat transfer without any harmful effects.

Jack McCornack
8/5/2008 9:25:53 AM

This is a test comment.

mother earth news fair

MOTHER EARTH NEWS FAIR

Feb. 17-18, 2018
Belton, Texas

More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, hands-on workshops, and great food!

LEARN MORE