Wherever possible you should try to limit your exposure to dust, smoke and allergens. Besides practicing the obvious — not smoking, not having pets, and cleaning frequently — you should also consider these measures:
1. Remove carpeting from bedrooms and living rooms.
2. Don't use heavy drapes or curtains.
3. Cover pillows and mattresses with allergy covers.
4. Designate certain rooms pet-free.
5. Run a dehumidifier in the basement during the summer.
6. Clean the basement walls with a diluted bleach solution to reduce mold growth.
7. Use an exhaust fan in the bathroom.
8. Wipe down showers and baths after each use to reduce mold and mildew.
9. Install a ducted range hood to reduce odors and cooking smoke.
10. Use a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter so that you don't reintroduce dust and allergens that have already settled on carpets.
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE
At MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).
You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.