Wherever possible you should try to limit your exposure to dust, smoke and allergens. Besides practicing the obvious — not smoking, not having pets, and cleaning frequently — you should also consider these measures:
1. Remove carpeting from bedrooms and living rooms.
2. Don't use heavy drapes or curtains.
3. Cover pillows and mattresses with allergy covers.
4. Designate certain rooms pet-free.
5. Run a dehumidifier in the basement during the summer.
6. Clean the basement walls with a diluted bleach solution to reduce mold growth.
7. Use an exhaust fan in the bathroom.
8. Wipe down showers and baths after each use to reduce mold and mildew.
9. Install a ducted range hood to reduce odors and cooking smoke.
10. Use a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter so that you don't reintroduce dust and allergens that have already settled on carpets.