How do I rid my property of chiggers forever?
There’s no effective way to destroy the chigger population completely, but in Be Fair To This Fowl, Jonathan Erickson suggests that guinea fowl eat chiggers (and other bugs you don’t want on your property). Chemical methods of killing chiggers are not effective, especially in the long-term.
Give Chiggers the Brush lists several things you can do to minimize chigger bites:
- Mow regularly — chiggers have fewer hiding places in short grass.
- Put sulfur powder in your socks if you can tolerate the odor.
- Wear long sleeves and tall boots.
- Shower and wash your clothes as soon as you can.
- Rub your skin every half hour while you’re outside to brush off the chiggers.
- Repellents containing diethyltoluamide (DEET) keep chiggers away.
— Troy Griepentrog, associate editor