Here are 16 great gift ideas from the Mother Earth News editors:
• Personalized greeting cards using card stock, available from any office supply store. Add your favorite photographs, used greeting cards or magazine photos.
• Themed scrapbooks depicting a favorite vacation, holiday or family celebration.
• Handmade books: Use your imagination to write stories based on personal experiences and adventures. Illustrate the book with photos, magazine pictures or your own hand-drawn illustrations.
• Home-brewed soda, cider, beer or wine, or give a brewing kit. (Search our website for recipes for brewing root beer and other sodas.)
• Spiced mulled wine or spiced cider.
• Flavored herbal or fruit vinegars.
• Homemade jam, jelly, butters or bread, with the recipes included.
• Braided garlic or onions.
• Homemade pesto, frozen in ice cube trays.
• Dried lavender sachets.
• Dinner-in-a-jar: soup and quick bread mixes that will keep for many months, with instructions.
• Bunches of dried herbs tied with a colorful ribbon. Add some dried red peppers for accent color.
• A seasonal wreath fashioned from dried leaves, seed pods and evergreen boughs.
• “Floral” arrangements of fresh evergreen branches, rose hips and bittersweet vines.
• Kindling bundles: finely split aromatic wood, such as pine or cedar. Tie small kindling bundles with red or green cord and arrange in a basket with handles.
• Windowsill garden kits: several attractive small flowerpots, a bag of potting soil and seed packets of basil, chives, dill or other popular kitchen herbs.
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE
At MOTHER EARTH NEWS, we are dedicated to conserving our planet's natural resources while helping you conserve your financial resources. You'll find tips for slashing heating bills, growing fresh, natural produce at home, and more. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing through our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. By paying with a credit card, you save an additional $5 and get 6 issues of MOTHER EARTH NEWS for only $12.95 (USA only).
You may also use the Bill Me option and pay $17.95 for 6 issues.