Fun Chicken Names for Your Homestead Flock
If you’re looking for a group of names for the flock of chickens on your homestead, we’ve pulled together some egg-cellent choices for you!
Whether you’re looking for something for the cute and fluffy hens, or the bossier dominant hen amongst the group, we have a perfect name for you here. Regardless of their breed or personality, we hope you find something in this list that reflects your little ball of fluff.
Classic Chicken Names
If you would rather stay away from funny or trendier names, and like to keep it quite traditional, think of female names from the older generation, and most of those make the ideal classic name for your chicken.
Here are a few suggestions to get you started, but you could also consider naming them after some of the older members of your family, if you want both a traditional, meaningful, yet also lighthearted flock!
- Annie – this name is of English origin and means ‘gracious’.
- Bertha – you could even go for Big Bertha!
- Dottie – English origin meaning ‘gift of God’.
- Ethel – if you have a very regal or noble chicken, this could be a great name.
- Felicity – derived from the Latin word ‘Felicitas’ meaning good fortune and luck.
- Henrietta – this is a very popular name for your hen.
- Josephine – this name is of French origin so might suit a Bresse chicken.
- Lucy – derived from the Latin name Lucuis which means ‘light’, perfect for any bird that has a light complexion such as an Orpington.
- Mabel – a sweet name for the older lady in your flock.
- Penny – Greek for flower!
Comedy Chicken Names
Perhaps you’re not interested in a traditional name and want to give your birds a bunch of names which match their comedy personalities?
Chickens are intelligent and inquisitive animals that are very sociable. They have their own pecking order and some are fearless and boisterous whereas others are quiet and shy.
- Birdzilla – an ideal name for a loud and bossy chicken who is the leader of the flock.
- Buckbeak – a great name for a giant breed such as the Jersey Giant.
- Eggspresso – for the more active and wild bird in the flock who is always on the go!
- Drumstick – a cheeky food based name!
- Hen Solo – if you or your children are Star Wars fans, why not name them after characters from the movie, or any other movie which you’re a fan of.
- Lil Pecker – does this bird constantly peck around for food?
- Mary Poopins – this one is self-explanatory!
- Miss Cluck-A-Lot – is one of your chickens the loudest in the flock?
- Princess Layer – a great name for the preened princess!
- Scramble –maybe for your prize egg layer?
Famous Chicken Names
Maybe you could name some of your birds after famous people? Perhaps name them after the players in your favorite sports team, or after a famous figure who you love.
Alternatively, you could make a play on words of celebrities and make them chicken related like the ones below:
- Albert Eggstein – great for the most intelligent member of the group.
- Cluck Norris – Chuck Norris is a famous American martial artist.
- David Beekham – can your chicken kick it like Beckham?
- Hennifer Lopez – perhaps this name would suit the most vocal bird.
- Hilary Fluff – name your chicken after Hilary Duff, an American actress.
- Lindsey LoHen – after the famous singer-songwriter.
- Margaret Hatcher – a funny name for the fastest hatching egg!
- Poca-hen-tas – if you love Disney, consider naming your flock after the main Disney characters.
Cute Chicken Names
You can draw inspiration for the chickens on your homestead, from anything that sounds cute! Why not use some of these as a starting point:
- Henny Penny
Color Chicken Names
If your chicken is a particular color, their name might be able to match their feathers. Here are a few suggestions of beautiful names based on their color:
Hopefully you’re found a name in this list which suits your flock down to the ground, but if not, use it as inspiration and think about all the things you love or find cute.
Unlike choosing a child’s name, you can get as creative as you’d like to with your chickens names – you don’t have to worry about the funny looks you’ll get for shouting out a very different name across the park!
David Woods is a carpenter, outdoorsman, and author with more than 30 years of professional woodworking experience. He is the author of best-seller How to Build a Log Home and has educated more than half a million people on how to build a log cabin via his blog, Log Cabin Hub. Connect with David on Facebook, and read all of his MOTHER EARTH NEWS posts here.
All MOTHER EARTH NEWS community bloggers have agreed to follow our Blogging Guidelines, and they are responsible for the accuracy of their posts. To learn more about the author of this post, click on their byline link at the top of the page.
We Built an Amazing Off-Grid Tiny House on Our Homestead for a Customer and Here is What We Learned
Seeing our tiny house on AirBnb, a woman approached us saying she wanted something larger and more personalized. So, we got to work on a custom build.
How I Raised a Year’s Worth of Grass-Fed Beef for Practically Nothing
Is it cheaper to raise your own beef? Is it even worth raising your own meat? Yes, it is absolutely cheaper and worth the time and effort to do so!
Sowing and Protecting Plants and Chicken Cleanliness
Take a look at these readers’ tips on sowing seeds, protecting plants, cleanliness around chickens, and garden tools.