Leaves let go, a descending spiral, a flurry of whirling dervishes in the air.
In November, we walk into the heart of fall and into forests aflame with color. It is a time when the veils between the worlds are thin, when our ancestors linger close, and when we bare witness to an amazing transformation: from life to death, from abundance to scarcity, for light to dark.
It's a season for reflection, for remembering those who came before us, for offering our gratitude for all that we have inherited from our tribe and from our earth. In honor of this special time, here is a homesteading guide, created by Natalie Bogwalker, the founder of Wild Abundance and the Firefly Gathering, to help inspire connection between mind, body, spirit and land.
• Harvest Polonia leaves for super-high-nutrient mulch
• Hunt deer and wild turkey (check exact seasons yearly)
• Harvest pecans
• Dig holes where trees or shrubs are to be planted, put deer guts and hocks in holes to get them ready for spring planting
• Weed around the bottom of fruit trees and berries, mulch with carbon rich material
• Plant and transplant berries and trees
• Harvest, process, and smoke hogs.
• Make jerky, and sausage — put up and enjoy.
• Harvest unripe persimmons on branch to dry.
• Harvest ripe persimmons and deseed for fresh pudding and to dry.
• Don't forget to relax, enjoy the long, luxurious nights, drink hot apple cider, review your garden log and make notes for next year!
Wild Abundance will be hosting a fall workshop on scared animal slaughter. To find our more about check out Wild Abundance.
Aiyanna Sezak-Blatt is a writer, student of permaculture design, and is an organic top-bar beekeeper in Asheville, NC. Read other articles featuring the work of Natalie Bogwalker and Wild Abundance, published by MOTHER EARTH NEWS here.
All MOTHER EARTH NEWS community bloggers have agreed to follow our Blogging Guidelines, and they are responsible for the accuracy of their posts. To learn more about the author of this post, click on their byline link at the top of the page.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE